Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Let's look at it from their point of view. The people who are doing this for a living need to pay the bills. Air time is extremely expensive and unless you have pretty deep pockets, you need to have someone else foot the bill. My guess is that they don't all 100% believe in the products they endorse. But, its naive to think that one can pick and choose their own sponsors. So, sometimes sacrafices have to be made to pay the bills.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Let's look at it from their point of view. The people who are doing this for a living need to pay the bills. Air time is extremely expensive and unless you have pretty deep pockets, you need to have someone else foot the bill. My guess is that they don't all 100% believe in the products they endorse. But, its naive to think that one can pick and choose their own sponsors. So, sometimes sacrafices have to be made to pay the bills.
Dan....I agree.....and to everyone else....I was just kidding around.NO malice.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you agree that carbon has the capability to decrease human odor, but don't have the money, or want to spend the money. Or if you don't like the whole "reactivation" thing, you could always buy a bottle of spray carbon and go to town on the clothes you already have. When it is time to reactivate, you simply spray on some more...

I was winded more times during the seasons I've used any of these products. Now I only use water to wash with, and hang my clothes outside. Store them in dirt and leaves.

If you'd like to see how bad these products really are, go get the most expensive stuff you can find, that you believe may have some benefit. Spray it all over your dogs favorite toy, and then throw the toy in the woods. My dog finds his toys this way all the time, and his nose probably isn't as good as a deer’s nose is.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Like any show unless you have money to waist you depend on sponsors. Unlike Ted who can pck and chose. Your stuck.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

hardcore,
I watch a lot of hunting shows, if for no other reason just entertainment of seeing big bucks/strutting toms, etc. Also, like you, I am not happy unless I "think" I have the best that moneycan buy. The show youare talking about though, I just deleted from my seasonpass on my TIVO. It has gotten to be ridiculous over the last several episodes.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am the say way to be honest, most of the programs, not all have become infomercials instead of hunting programs. Don't get me wrong I understand the need to advertize the sponsors product but have to agree some have turned into nothing but commercials for the sponsor. I will be honest and will probably get lots of criticism but one that about makes me sick anymore is Getting Close with Lee and Tiffany Lakoski. It has turned into the Tiffany show and how much we can show without getting rated R or remove from family programing. What is worse, it just shows her mostly as a big ditz, typical blond ditz and seems to undermine the show..... I can't stand to watch it any more and tired of it selling Tiffany and not getting close for the hunt! But hey, sex sells right?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont like many hunting shows...they are ALL like that to a certain extent. i personally LIKE Tom Miranda. i think hes a good hunter and knows his stuff. he started out as a hard core trapper. i own his bowhunting encyclopedia video. though he talks alot about the products he uses ALL hunting shows do. and they also give props to the ranches etc they hunt. i dont watch hunting shows to learn anything or for product reviews. they are simply entertainment for me. people hate Ted N and Tred B...i like both their shows as well and respect them too. sometimes they all take it over the edge with advertising...but they are making a living...they got a job i envy i'll admit that. i watch the shows for entertainment..
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Spike

It is up to you the viewer to tell them what you want! If you don’t like it you can turn it off. As for us (the guys trying to put on a good show) we have to listen or get out of the way and let someone who will put a show on that you the viewer want to watch on the air! It still comes down to who will pay for it the sponsors and the whole point of them advertising on your show is to sell more products! This is a very strange question will you watch a show with no advertising? Would you be willing to send them money to do so? I don’t think so, until there is a better way to pay for air time you have two choices; turn it off or watch and understand this is how we pay the bills!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wildlife what show are you connected with?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM

I can relate something here. I read Elk Hunting 101 last night. I bought it becuase I am moving to Colorado and intend to strictly elk hunt my first four months out there...no work, no play, just hunt hunt hunt. I bought the book becuase someone recommended it to me. Well, I read the whole thing in one night, and when I was done I threw it in the trash. I have NEVER, in all my born days, seen a book that so shamelessly plugged product after product. I mean, it was digusting, never have I seen so little information about hunting alongside PAGES of information of why you should buy a certain product. It literally made me sick that I paid the money I did for this book. He actually states in his book that Rocky boots are the only boot he has seen that can stand up to the rogors of Elk Hunting...Come on moron, get a clue.
Not only did the author turn me off to the book, but also ALL the products and services he plugged. His elk website, www.elkcamp.com, is now on my dont ever visit list, cause I know it will end up probably being a product plug. The book was also horribly written. If I was an editor, I would have thrown the book back at him laughing...and I have read some BAD books...this one tops it off though. No discussion about hunting tactics, map analysis, etc, etc.
This mirrors what we are talking about when it comes to hunting shows. Way too often it is just a plug, which is why I prefer to buy the DVD's. At least for those I can skip the chapter and see if the next one is any better. Personally, I like Primos videos. They do plug their products, but not as much as other shows.
Personally, I think some hunting show needs to take a stand, and tell their sponsers, "Be happy with the endorsement at the beginning of the show or else look for someone else to plug your crap." Of course, this is not the reality of the situation, but it is optimistic.
I am guilty too though...I constantly spout about Darton, putting down Bowtech and Hoyt (of course, we all know the latter two suck). Anyway, does that make me no better than that TV show. While I will leave the answering of that question too you, everyone should understand that it is a slippery slope, and while we can point the finger at shows and sponsers, we should look at ourselves also in the equation.

Quick Reply: Do you respect TV shows that promote "Snake Oil"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.