Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you control the mental game?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Default RE: How do you control the mental game?

I usually practice shooting without picking my bow up. I pretend I'm shooting in my mind, I see myself holding the bow and releasing the arrow over and over again. I'm not sure if this helps or not but I don't seem to think about much at all except putting the arrow were it needs to be. I also visulize the arrow hitting it's mark over and over. For some reason that doesn't translate to well in the actual shooting. Now that I think about it, what I said may not work at all. Good luck, practice, practice, practice
Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Sorry guess I should have read the other posts before I made mine
Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

As some others have said you have to have a shot sequence,doing everything exactly the same way each time,if any part of the sequence breaks down you let down.Set your stance the same way,inhale and draw the same way come to anchor the same way,come down from above with your pin the same way on to your target.Maybe having a mantra while you are using back tension to pull through the shot like aim,aim,aim,aim,bang the surprise release,exaggerate your follow through (don't let the bow arm drop).If you start to feel uncomfortable at any point in the sequence (shaking) you let down.The professionals let down like one out of every three shots or there abouts.
Something that should bring most folks comfort is the fact that you don't have to shoot,you have to control the mental side than the physical side will be much easier.Have fun.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

By doing enough scouting thatI know,that the tree that I am in isthe best place to be, but if I amnot seeing deer. I need to find out why not an what changed because ifI wait to long the vac. will be over an it will be time to go back to work.