Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have your standards changed?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Have your standards changed?

No wrong answer, PT. I just happen to live in a place like you mention.....where I CAN pass on 1.5 yr olds (and some 2.5 yr olds). I saw several of them last year that I watched, only.

If I were meat hunting STRICTLY, I'd tag out in a very short time. I see a lot of deer, though. I hope I don't get tired of butchering them....but it's plausible. I'd like to take 8-10 does out of our herd. MY standard will change ......because I wouldn't have dreamed of buggering up my best spots killing does, last year. This year....I know that's what is best for the herd.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No wrong answer, PT. I just happen to live in a place like you mention.....where I CAN pass on 1.5 yr olds (and some 2.5 yr olds). I saw several of them last year that I watched, only.

If I were meat hunting STRICTLY, I'd tag out in a very short time. I see a lot of deer, though. I hope I don't get tired of butchering them....but it's plausible. I'd like to take 8-10 does out of our herd. MY standard will change ......because I wouldn't have dreamed of buggering up my best spots killing does, last year. This year....I know that's what is best for the herd.
Jeff, you are definitely blessed to have an area like that .... I would be more selective if I lived by you ...by the way ....send me your classifieds will ya? [8D]
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

PT...

Funny thing is....I built Churches, EXCLUSIVELY, for 5 years. I've got more pastor friends than the pope.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My standards have come a long ways since I started out. From shooting any buck that walked by to holding out on a good one for my area, meaning I judge him to be 120+ or 3.5+. My standards on does hasn't really changed. In most areas I'll shoot any non young of the year doe, with a tendency to pick the biggest of any group coming thru. In special regs areas, and expecially if I am on the ground hunting, I'll shoot any doe, even a small one. They butcher up fast and are mighty tasty, and there are a lot of deer.

As far as game plans go I head into a season with the general strategy of shooting does early and often, unless I think I can pick off a mature buck the 1st couple days. THen its all low pressure doe hunting. Once the last week of Oct rolls around does get passed if I still have tags left. Then its all about the big boys. Although I can't speak for my actions atthe moment of truth, I don't expect to lower my standards on a buck late in the season.
I also try and plan out the next few days hunts as I go thru a season. However I try to remain flexible for things that pop up.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Far as bucks are concerned, I won't shoot at anything I won't consider mounting. To me shooting a little basket rack 6 is no different than shooting a doe. I am not trying to offend anyone with the last comment, just the standards by which I hunt. As far as doe's goif they don't have any really young fawns with them, they are fair game. I do try to target the older mature doe's. We have a terrible buck to doe ratio around where I live, so taking out multiple doe's is something we always try to do, even then it doesn't seem to help at all.

Shane
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM

a doe to me is a 67 point buck hunting only 20 acres when i get my first deer that is goin to be one of my lifes accomplishments all of yall probly hunt 100 acres and over but when you hunt small land your standards change drammatically.....but ill tell you one thing if i hunted 100 acres i would be alot more picky
Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 PM

When I started hunting it was me and only me to feed and many only buck tags. Now there is seven in the house to feed. I can get up to five tags so first is freezer with one tag for the wall. Yes little hunter things do change with time.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have pretty set standards from season to season. Bucks Ill start off the season not shooting anything except 150 class maybe mid 140's. Early season I shoot several does since we have too many, but come the rut every doe walks in hopes of a booner following. Tail end of the season I would shoot anything that would make pope and young if I havent killed a buck yet.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Yes, my standards have changed.

I used to care a lot about the size of the horns. Now, I hunt for the enjoyment of the hunt, and the meat it provides,although I usually give most of the meat away to family members that don't hunt, but love deer and elk meat. I don't even consider size of horns as part of the decision.

In Washington, Deer and Elk Archery seasons overlap. I hunt elk, and while hunting elk, if I get a good shot opportunity on an adult deer (doe or buck) that will not interrupt my elk hunting (I.E. I'm not on fresh elk tracks, not 2 miles down in a canyon, not first thing in the morning, etc.), then I will take it. After elk season, I will take a deer under different circumstances, but it is not based on the size of the horns. I allow "How I am feeling" to infuence whether I take a shot or not. I don't feel compelled to take every shot opportunity that presents itself. Some days I just enjoy watching the deer walk by.

I can honestly say if I had two deer together, and I could choose which to shoot, I would pass the bigger, older, fully mature buck to shoot a 2 - 4 year old buck or doe.

The one standard that has not, and will not change: I will not shoot any animal on my own property.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Monkey Man, have you been hanging out with TDWW? LMAO
ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

My plan for this year is to wound a mature buck with my bow, immediately chase him down on foot and finish him with a knife. No more waiting for me thanks. I did this once before, but on accident. Since that time, nothing else makes my heart pump like that. It is the real deal. Dangerous - yes. For everyone - No. Am I a freak - most likely. If you're up to it - try it. You may just learn some pretty neat stuff about yourself.

Quick Reply: Have your standards changed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.