Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Phantom Broadheads....5 shot???

Old 12-10-2002, 04:47 PM

Default Phantom Broadheads....5 shot???

A friend adivsed me to give these Phantom Boadheads(125 gr) a try. I believe they used to made by Elk Mountain Archery but I heard a RUMOR that Muzzy makes them now.

Anyways have you tested this particular head?? I really like the looks of it especially the fact it has replacable bleeder blades...seems to me this head combines the best of both worlds.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Phantom Broadheads....5 shot???

moderator,

Sorry about the double post.....feel free to delete them
Old 12-11-2002, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The phantom heads are excellent in every way. They are strong sharp, fly great, and penetrate well. The bleeders are some of the strongest on the market and easy to replace.
Muzzy has take over ownership of the company, but won't really have anything to do with production. The will be run as two differnt compaines, competing against one another for market share. I suspect that if anything the heads will only get better now.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-11-2002, 08:24 AM

Phantom will be releasing a 4 blade 100 grn head in March.

Thanks!

Gary D. Dowdy
Bow Hunting editor,
Boar Hunter Magazine
Old 01-01-2003, 01:42 PM

Update on the Phantoms...

So far I am pretty impressed with these Phantoms.

They are a very well built head. The blades are fairly sharp right out of the package, easily shaving hair on my arm. They were a little tricky to put together at first because the replaceable bleeders are connected at the tip and you have to slip them between the housing that holds the main blade. But after a couple of tries it became easier. I think having the bleeder blades connected is actually probably a GOOD thing as it will give them more strength and keep them from coming apart.

The flew fairly quiet with no noticable hissing or any other noise. They did however impact about 2-3 inches up and to the left of my field points at 20 yards. I am going to try going to a 5 inch fletch and a little more offset as these heads to have a fairly large profile.

The only negative that I could find with these heads is that the main blade started to develope some "play" right close to the front. This was after about 20 shots into a foam target. I think that the aluminum may have spread apart just a little bit. I don't think I would shoot this wobbly head at an animal though. Maybe it was just a one time thing and I will have to see what some of the other heads out these 2 packs I bought do when tested. It would be nice to see this head with a Steel or better yet a Titanium base.

All in all it looks like I will definitely put this head at the top of my list.

Edited by - corey006 on 01/01/2003 14:45:43