Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String jerking forward

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String jerking forward

ORIGINAL: chazspot

It's a Drenalin. -Sorry, can't help you with that one.
This weekend I am getting the string adjusted so it shortens my draw length a half of an inch.

1/2" by tweaking the string alone? make sure the cam is still in time when you're finished (should have to fudge the cable too to keep the cam timed properly- I think). This might (should) throw your ata and brace off spec.

Maybe someone with more string length tweaking savy can chime in......
Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would bet money it's your DL ..... I came from an old setup where I could pull the string after the break, past my anchor point 2" or more, to a dead stop bow after the break ... my DL went from 29" (so I thought) to 27 1/2. If your length is long at all, you will revert back to allowing the string to creep just a little ... and then ... BANG
This is exactly what is happening to me. I think after it is adjusted I will be right where I need to be and the undesirable movement will disappear.

Sounds like you are collapsing to me. As long as you are not drawing passed anchor and settling in. Which you wouldn't want to do anyway.

If you are drawing past anchor, and then settling in, then you need a draw length adjustment on your bow.
Yep, this is the case!

To me it sounds as though in order to anchor properly [for you], you're allowing the string to creep forward and not hitting the wall and holding it there. This causes the string, as you said, to jump forward.

My question is, who at the shop that you purchased the bow from allowed you to walk out of the store with a bow that wasn't properly fitted?
Not necessarily, I've been shooting for years and haven't had this problem. In hindsight, I got a new string put on my old bow and started having that problem. The shooting grew worse over time.

Yes, the problem here is a new bow wasn't fitted to me properly, but I only jerked a couple times out of shooting many arrows; so the dealer didn't see any problems. It wasn't until I shot for a couple hours a week later that it became more evident. So I can cut him some slack there.

The dealer said that the string can be adjusted to shorten it a half inch, so hopefully that is all it will take.

I was once so comfortable shooting my old Mathews that any deer that came within range it was just a matter of me wanting the deer or not. As of late, it has been very frustrating not having that confidence. As far as upgrading, I had my old mathews since the mid 90's, so I figured it was time to upgrade. I do love my new bow. Man, has technology changed!!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had this happen to me before too. It actually caused me to miss a doe this year. My relase was stuck, i relaxed to shoot but my release didnt let go of the string and it jerked my arm forward. I woul definatley get it fixed before season. Looks like these guys got it covered on what to do...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen that problem and its usualy caused by too long of a draw, but it can also be the bow if it has at very small valley.