Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Public Land...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Public Land...

Almost all the land I hunt is public and it has caused me to be a very effective hunter because you have to think harder. I hunt anywhere from 40 acres heavily hunted Magwonigo wisconsin land to the nearly untouched upnorth papermill. Ive learned weekdays are great going after work if the place is close enough to allow. Got me a 6 pointer this year 5 days into the season. Also like stated go way back in deep if you can. Also learned go early in september is best. Avoid the rut on the weekends on public land. Also dont overlook the obvious. One of my better spots is only 50 yards from a well traveled hwy. and about 100 yards from the public parking spot. Where I got the 6 pnt.but is only good the first 2 weeks of the season before the people drive the deer out. You always got to play it by ear with public land. But best rule of thumb Go DEEP and as deep as possible.