Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Just wondering if anyone out there has shot both of these broadheads at all and would recommend one of the two? I've read lots of ratings on Bass Pro and Cabelas on both. I am shooting a Matthews Icon with the Maxima 250's. I saw a commercial the other day that said the Maxima'sare weighted specially for broadheads, but I didn't know if that meant they are specially weighted for heavier broadheads or lighter. I have some 3 blade muzzy's that my brother gave me to try. I'll try those, but I'm very interested in the Montec's and how they compare. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

I have both and don't know if there is much to choose from here. They both have great penetration and generally good blood trails. Whichever one shoots best from your bow . . . .
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly think the montec's fly better, and they are tougher. Nothing against muzzy's I shot them for several years but the blades will bend and fold even on rib shots,and furrels bend easy also.The montec is all one piece injection molded steel and resharpens very easiely.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 3 bladed Muzzy's and am happy enough with them that I won't change, there may be a better broad head out there, and yes they do get nicked up a bit when shooting through the bigger bone, but the replacement blades are cheap enough, and I've never had the ferrule bend on me. Just go with what you think shoots better out of your set up.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Any broadheads Muzzy makesare going to be good. The montecs seem to also be popular right now, but I haven't tried them. I think most broadheads will penetrate about the same anymore as long as you stick with some of the better manufacturers. I thought I found a great deal at wally world one time and bought some of their broadheads. Not surethe brand name, but they were horrible. Seemed really weak and I never could get themvery sharp. Seems like broadheads are like bows anymore by that Imean there isn'tvery muchdifference between the better brands. I agree with Roskoe find a broadhead that shoots well from your bow and you'll be set
Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

I've used both - Muzzys for several years with good results but I decided to try G5's this past season.

The muzzy blades do tend to bend or ripple but, as was pointed out, they can be easily replaced. The G5 I shot my buck with this season passed through and hit rocky ground beyond. The blade edges were nicked and even with the prescribed sharpener, it was very difficult to get them back to both sharp and smooth.

Both of the ones I use are 100 gr and they shoot exactly the same from my bow. I still haven't decided which I like best - happy with either one.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

i shot muzzys for 1 year and montecs for one year. i deffinetly like the montecs i get a lot of penatration on shoulder shots and they are tough.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried the G5's last year.....but could never get them to stop fishtailing when I was trying to tune my bow. I honestly never got them flying exactly straight. I switched to a 3 blade Muzzy, this year (and, admittedly, went up 25 gr to a 125gr head). My tuning problems disappeared.

I'm sure they're both wonderful heads.....but I like the idea of just changing my blades to ensure sharpness. It's simply personal preference....as they've both been proven by members of this forum, alone.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot Muzzy's for three seasons and took several deer and hogs with them. Decent broadheads for sure, and I always had pass throughs and fairly quick recoveries. Hit one doe a bit back through the liver and had to leave her for a good bit, but she only went about 175 yards before heading to the big corn pile in the sky. Two seasons ago, I switched to the Montec's. They shoot just as good as the Muzzy's, but I find that they are tougher, and the blades are simple to resharpen. I also like the Pre-Season Montec's, just because they are the exact same demensions as the real thing. The difference between the real Muzzy's and how they are with the practice blades is probably negligable, but it makes me feel better at least. I have seen one Muzzy acctually break inside an animal. The don't have much resistance to sideway's sheer, but it still got the job done. Thats the last animal I shot with them. Just kinda made me wonder, so I switched to one solid piece of steel.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've shot 'em both. Go with the Montec's man. The G5's have the cut on contact and you can't beat that.

Quick Reply: Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.