Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Default RE: Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Troutman... both broadheads are competent at taking deer-sized game, but the separation between the two comes when you step up the size of the animal. The cut-on-contact becomes a necessity when hunting elk-or-larger sized animals due to the decrease in resistance. Basically a broadhead is a simple machine that can be evaluated on the basis of mechanical advantage and selected on a performance basis. The Muzzy and Montec have roughly the same mechanical advantage (so they're basically equal), but the performance of the cut-on-contact becomes an advantage for the Montec if you, like the rest of us, are subject to Mr. Murphy's Law and may hit a thick part of a shoulder blade on an elk after glancing off an unseen twig or have to cut through two ribs on a quartering moose. The power of today's bows allows us to use many variations of broadheads on deer (i.e., you have to look long and hard to find a broadhead that isn't sufficient for deer), but bringing elk, moose, or African Game into the equation necessitates our use of technology and research to mitigate Mr. Murphy's effects. You should do a Google seaarch for Dr. Ed Ashby's research in Africa on hunting arrow penetration. The physics he uses are sound, and the methodology is as accurate as is possible. The bottom line from his research is that I will be using a 2 blade, high mechanical advantage, cut-on-contact head with small bleeder blades this fall for elk, moose, and bear, and I will be using asmaller Rocket Ultimate Steelfor turkey, whitetails, and mule deer. Your choice should be made based on the type of game you will be hunting and the way each broadhead shoots in your setup.

The question about the weighting of the Maxima shafts being suited for broadheads is pretty simply answered. The idea is to increase the percentage of weight forward balance that the arrow/broadhead combination achieves. The higher the percentage, the more inherently stable the flight of the arrow. Increasing weight forward is accomplished several ways: increase broadhead weight, increase insert weight (brass inserts), decrease tail weight, or use an arrow like the Maxima that is designed that way. As a general rule of thumb 12-15% weight forward creates the best flight characteristics for broadheads: go above this percentage and your arrow drops like a stone, go below this percentage and the broadhead does too much of the steering of the arrow and you can't tune or group arrows consistently. The Maxima arrows allow you a little leeway in choosing between broadhead weights since the arrow design is helping your weight forward percentage, so you may get away with shooting a 100 grain point instead of 125, depending on your setup (arrow length, vane choice, nock weight, insert type, etc.).

Good Luck! Shoot straight, and be happy in knowing that your pre-season research paid off with meat in the freezer.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

So toddr......

My Allegiance is set at 71#'s and sends my +/- 400 gr target arrow at over 300fps. Are you saying I should switch to a cut-on-contact (I currently use Muzzy 125gr 3-blades) if I'm going elk hunting? Bear hunting?

Fred Eichler's wife (and ...I assume he does, too) owns Muzzy.....and he takes all his game utilizing those heads.....mostly from a recurve.

Interesting take.......
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

does anyone get a whistling problem with montecs as u shoot?
its weird 2 out of 6 whistle, and its not the arrow or anything...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: toddr96
The cut-on-contact becomes a necessity when hunting elk-or-larger sized animals due to the decrease in resistance.
Sorry todd, not slamming you but I see this perception put forth over and over and I've proven it is just not true, COC heads are not a "necessity". A 3 blade Muzzy went clean through my brown bear and I've had pass throughs on moose and caribou with both chisel points and expandibles the only time I haven't had pass throughs is with COC heads on mtn. goats; arrow weight, shot placement, and broadhead sharpness are way more important to penetration than head design.

The main difference you're going to see between those two heads is in keeping them sharp. If you're into honing your blades go with the G5's they are super easy to sharpen and perform really well (my girlfriend took a goat with a 100 gr. this fall at 50# draw with the G5 and anyone that's hunted them can attest to the goat being about the hardest critter to penetrate in N. America). If you're not into the sharpening routine, then get the Muzzy with replaceable blades; they work just as well and fly fine out of a well tuned bow. Neither head is going to survive an impact with heavy bone or rock to be shot another day so I wouldn't even take longevity into account.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

does anyone get a whistling problem with montecs as u shoot?
its weird 2 out of 6 whistle, and its not the arrow or anything...
I've heard of this but haven't noticed it out of my G/F's rig but then she is only shooting them at 215 fps.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM

I've shot both. The Muzzy flew great out of my bows and were easy to tune. With that being said, they did have a minor problem that I didn't like. The blades would get small chips out of them went shot. It didn't matter what I shot them into, a b-head target or an animal, the same result. With that said, the overall b-head is TOUGH. I smacked a doewith one and got a complete pass through, after the arrow exited the chest cavity it hit the lower portion of the deers leg and went through that and burried into the ground. The head was in good condition with the exception of the blades having a few chips out of the cutting edge.

The G5 Montecs flew very well out of my bow and seemed to be one of the best long range fixed blade b-heads as far as accuracy goes. These heads are tough as nails. Also, it seemed like tuning the broadheads to the arrow was much easier and for the most part un-needed. The doe I shot had a complete pass through and the arrow burried itself into the ground. When I got the arrow out of the ground I found that the b-head was in perfect condition. It just needed a little sharpening but thats where the down side to the G5's is. The blades are pretty tough to get razor sharp.

Either one is a very good b-head, but as far as fixed blade b-heads go, I would go with the N.A.P. Crossfire. My buddy shoots them and they are top notch. They are super accurate b-heads that fly great at all distances. They, like the N.A.P. Thunderheads, have the sharpest blades out there. They are tough as nails and the whole blade cartridge can be replaced. If I was going to switch from my Rocky Mt Snypers to a fixed blade, it would definetly be the Crossfires.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM

I have shot both heads and my preference is neither..........but if I had to choose between ONLY these two I would take the G5.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot plenty of deer with the Muzzy .... great head ... never had any problems with them.

This year I was going to try the Montecs, but after hearing all the complaints of whistling, like BarOfSoap mentioned, I decided to try Magnus Stingers and Rage 2 blade instead.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have jumped back an forth with broadheads, but now I have been shooting muzzy for about4 years straight now. I just replace the shot blades with new blades.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM

To GMMAT... I am not one to tell you to switch by any means!! Your setup sounds about the same speed as mine, and I have killed plenty of critters with the non-cut-on-contact heads such as the Muzzy. My switching this year to a higher mechanical advantage head is a personal chioce that I am making in an attempt toovercomeby way of the laws of physicsany problems that I may not have control over such as a leg which is moved after I release that my arrow now has to go through to get to the vitals. I am hoping not, but the day will probably come when the choice of equipment that I am using will mean cleanly killing an animal or wounding one, so I would be negligent to the sport by not using what I feel to be the best broadhead for the situation. Please don'ttake my post above to mean that a Muzzy won't kill an elk...that's been proven year after year of elk in the freezer for many hunters, myself included. I merely am of the opinion that the higher mechanical advantage of a 2 blade cut-on-contact head is the better choice for me. By the way the mechanical advantage formula that I am using is: Length of cutting edge/(1/2 cut diameter x number of blades).

Quick Reply: Muzzy 3 blade vs. G5 Montec

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.