Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The way the other guy hunts

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Default RE: The way the other guy hunts

Since everyone avoided my question, I'll post it up again. If you put things down on to a more personal level, say between you and a neighboor, will you go and talk to him about what he does? I used a deer drive example originally, would try to make a deal with him where he holds off his drive maybe an hour and in exchange maybe he can stand hunt on your property (just an exmaple). Or going back to one of the original topics of the kid using the atv to get to his stand during prime time. Do you go and talk to the neighboor afterwards and tell him to try to go in earlier if he wants to use the atv (again, just a possible example of the conversation you cold have)?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

And grouping/comparing QDM and baiting with fencing in 5 acres and charging for hunts or a deer with an arrow through its neck is almost humerous. But hey, to each his own.
Glad I could make your morning a little more humerous.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

Of course we should try to change regulations if we think things should change and dont agree, but we shouldnt attack each other over it. If its legal then they have the RIGHT to do it, no matter what it is. Ifyou think that right should be removed then youshould do it through the legal system by votingyour opinions.

Thats the great part about this country, One person's views dont change anything, its when the majority has a certain view that things change.

Want to add -Another way to go about it is to convince your neighbors to change their ways... If your way truely is better it would be great to show an example to the rest of your area...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 AM

I think that's really what he's asking, Ed. I see alot of 'as long as it's legal' replies, and at the same time, people talking about 'turning people from the dark side', 'If others would stop shooting young bucks, there'd be more chances for me', and 'my way is truely better' type of statements.

So which way is it, 'don't care about the other guy' or 'everybody should do what I want'?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are alot of things that burn me up about other hunters. But like Ed said they have a right to do it. The last thing I want corrupting this sport is over-legislation.

I Agree with that statement 100%.

Anti hunters,Non hunters or even the neutral John Q public can be the Hunters - Sportsmans worst Enemy. We all know that to be a fact.

The "Hunting Community" can be its own worst enemy IF we let it happen just because we don't like what the other guy does which IS Legal.
Thank God we will never ALL agree on every aspect of hunting.

Wow - How boring would that be.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I would talk to the person on the ATV(in a friendly manner),tell him the effect he is having on my hunt, and possibly other peoples hunts. Maybe he didn't realize his actions were in lack of respect for other hunters. I feel it's important to be on a personal level with neighboring hunters. The more hunters that have respect for each other in the woods, the better. Unfortunateley, it doesn't always work out that way. I'm amazed by the people who will set up a stand within eyes viewnear yours knowing your there. I'm the complete opposite, I try to avoid other hunters at all cost. If another hunter confronted me in that same way(in reference to the ATV situation, or in any situation for that matter), I would take it seriously, and work somthing out on a "personal level".
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: pigiron

Yes, I would talk to the person on the ATV(in a friendly manner),tell him the effect he is having on my hunt, and possibly other peoples hunts. Maybe he didn't realize his actions were in lack of respect for other hunters. I feel it's important to be on a personal level with neighboring hunters. The more hunters that have respect for each other in the woods, the better. Unfortunateley, it doesn't always work out that way. I'm amazed by the people who will set up a stand within eyes viewnear yours knowing your there. I'm the complete opposite, I try to avoid other hunters at all cost. If another hunter confronted me in that same way(in reference to the ATV situation, or in any situation for that matter), I would take it seriously, and work somthing out on a "personal level".
Bingo! Someone finally got the whole idea! We need to be able to interact together to solve problems and differences. Yes, we all need to respect eachothers' rights to hunt, but if that means your own rights are infringed upon, wouldn't you do something about it?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 PM

I may talk to my neighbor but you have to understand that it is his land and his right. When you go over to make this peace offering he might think your trying to manage or take his land from him. Not sure but it could cause a few problems.

I have a story about this exact thing. My father owns 36 acres and it's joined by 2 large properties (100 plus acres). Every since he has leared about QDM he has taken action to make his 36 acres better hunting ground. Last year he finally had a pretty good area. Well our next door neighbors love to hunt and shoot anything thats brown. Even though our neighbors have ton of other land to hunt they migrated to our 36 acres. My father had to run them off of our property several times and seen them killing deer out of season. He finally got up the nerve to say something and now the one neighbor is tearing fences down and taking tree stands apart. We have no proof that it was him but we hav never had problems till now. It's best to only correct the thing you have control over (Like him being on your land and killing deer out of season on your property)