Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The way the other guy hunts

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Default RE: The way the other guy hunts

I think what Charlie was trying to get at - is if there is a large amount of people in a certain area that have similar feelings - do you try to do something to change some things that you don't like. Just as a hypothetical example, if baiting is legal in you area - but no one does it and most everyone is against it, do you try to change it? We were discussing something similar in another post and this came up as side talk. Do ya'll understand the idea? Basically - are you willing to lobby with a group of hunters from your area to get something changed if the need arose?

How about this, again hypothetical, if there are a bunch of guys who do a ton of deer drives on the property next to yours, would you approach them sometime and just ask for them to hold off a drive for a few hours so you could get some quality time in? Consider offering a trade possibly? Etc. Etc. Etc. The whole idea is what would you do if you wanted something changed around you?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The golden triangle always had big bucks. The QDM just produced more of them, but is that high amount of big bucks a natural phenomenon, I doubt it. If QDM goes state wide great I'll abide by it. I personally won't shoot smaller than a six point,but even thats too small for the type of QDM practiced at the leased areas. Remember their motivation is money! The large deer are a commodity.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

The golden triangle always had big bucks.
So has most of this state, but due to the fact that the average person isn't willing to cough up 3500 to hunt the Triangle, those 3 counties are less pressured andyou get these other counties over loaded with hunters, some "true", and some "idiots". And it's basically becoming a shoot, or go home empty mentality.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

CAN I HAVE SOME POPCORN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VERY INTERESTING??????? HUH[8D][8D]
Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only hunted here in suburban Chicago,so maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing,we don't have a gun season here. But I do also hunt in WI and during gun season there it's like a war broke out. Well I gotta tell ya I've seen some big bucks and small ones and in-between ones. I just don't see a problem here.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

quote:

If QDM is "mandatory"....
It never was sowhy try and make it mandatory now anywhere?
Charlie....you asked us a question based on a statement (made by you) that QDM was mandatory. I was just answering your question....based on that premise.

quote:

Again....there's a reason the extra doe permits were issued. Sounds to me like you have piss poor neighbors, too.
It was a Hypothetical question,why would they be piss poor? What their doing is legal,they might really need the meet.
The answer contained an observational opinion.....based on the number of things your neighbor was doing to piss you off. You seemingly complain about them in one post.....only to defend them in another???? I'm perplexed.

quote:

Whether I think what they're doing is "hunting" or "ethical" has little to do with whether or not I'd support their right to do it.....as long as it's legal. I would.
You think that is good for hunting?
My personal opinion on the subject wouldn't interfere with me defending their right to participate.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Forget about Antler restrictions and mandatory QDM. Make rules up for your own property and don't worry about how the other guy hunts. He wants to drop button bucks or 1.5 yr old deer. Don't worry about it.
Where here does it say QDM is already mandatory?

Once again what I posed was hypothetical IF you were to have neighbors shooting as many does as possible it's legal so don't worry about it. You understand?

My personal opinion on the subject wouldn't interfere with me defending their right to participate.

That's understandable if you don't care what the non hunters think.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

[ol][*]Forget about Antler restrictions and mandatory QDM. Make rules up for your own property and don't worry about how the other guy hunts. He wants to drop button bucks or 1.5 yr old deer. Don't worry about it.[*]Baiting where it is legal keep it that way. If it effects your land because your neighbor does it. Don't worry about just bait to.[*]Somebody wants to fence in 5 acres jam it to over flowing with trophy bucks and charge people to shoot them,don't worry about it.[*]If the state sets increasing large number of doe permits and your neighbor decides he wants to shoot ever deer that he can legally shoot and then allows every Tom, Dick and Harry to come and put drives on from sun up to sun down. Don't worry about it.[*]When your sitting in your tree stand and the neighbors kid decide to take the four wheeler to their stand at prime time don't worry about it.[*]When a buck walks by with an arrow sticking out of it's neck because the guy on the next lease believes that shot is lethal don't worry about it.[/ol]
Any other things we shouldn't worry about what the other guy is doing?
Well..... yeah........ guess you've got it...... if its legal... well, then it's legal. Don't like it? Write your congressman. And your state biologists. And you department of wildlife. If it truly is something that needs to be changed then enough people will agree with you and it will get changed. If enough people don't agree with you then it might be more just your opinion. Funny how you take 6 items that YOU don't like and post them as though they are the scourge of our sport. And grouping/comparing QDM and baiting with fencing in 5 acres and charging for hunts or a deer with an arrow through its neck is almost humerous. But hey, to each his own.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Are we speaking QDM or QAM?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny how you take 6 items that YOU don't like and post them as though they are the scourge of our sport.
I don't care if people practice QDM just don't try and make every body do it because "you" think that is the way it should be. I got into trophy hunting then started taking my kid out and that changed, really stopped worrying about what it had on it's head,but I've let plenty of bucks walk in my life.

Baiting, nevr been around it. I would voive my opinion against it if was allowed in NY.

5acre pens definately against.

The neighbors kid scenario. I have had a family walk right behind me with their kids and dogs,and dropped a doe 20 minutes later.The land owner let's people walk through,no big deal.

Neck shot's. I am against but I know you can't mandate what shot's people take.

As long as it's legal hold true for many just as long as everyone does what they want. Same as ethics.

I'm just saying if your part of the big tent group you really can't criticize much or look to change things. Because if it's legal already don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: The way the other guy hunts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.