Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The way the other guy hunts

Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Default RE: The way the other guy hunts

Someone has been whatching too much of the Tyra Banks show! I think she done something like this with her audience and wieght issues. That being said, I was talking about this exact same topic with my father. If it's legal and you want to do it, you have that right. Even though there are laws that I disagree with it doesn't mean I'm going to get on here and slam someone for hunting over bait if it's legal in there state. Things like this is what divides our hunting community. I think if someone posts a topic about something you don't like but it's legal in there state that you shouldn't coment on it. When the anti's come through and there reading about the guy who killed the deer in a fenced in area anda billion different hunters are bashing him it makes the sport look bad. I personally don't believe in hunting fenced deer but to each is own, I want say a thing.

I want popcorn, extra butter
Old 03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spring caller,don't worry about the anti's you need to worry about the huge percentage of the population that just doesn't hunt.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 PM

agreed! I should have made a mention of the non-hunters.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chuckles ...you like your name on long threads ..... dontcha? LOL

Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Was that my popcorn? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

no....that was mine .... here's yours
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some laws are enacted due to the DNR population studies etc. Some laws are purely done for political reasons. Some changes are made to improve populations of game animals. Many of these laws or rules are in a dynamic state of change. I know Wisconsin changes the rules every year. They do study the populations and try to tweakthe rules to get the desired results. Many people don't like the rules and ther DNR gets a bad rap. Many hunters will not shoot a doe,even if it is good for the herd. Many still think more does...more deer.

The statements made in the opening post are all ethical considerations which are personal descisions. If it's legal, you now must ask yourself if you feel it is right in your heart to do. If not then don't do it. If it's legal,don't bash your hunting brother for doing it. If you feel laws are wrong try to change them,but don't expect much luck unless you can get a long petition of wildlife biologists to sign on to your opinions,they're the guys who make the recomendations for the laws in the first place.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: j_beste

I would love alaw preventing the harvest of young bucks

I agree with you, BUT....then you will have the hunters who will say they don't hunt for antlers, they hunt to feed there family, which is there right to do so, and I have no problem with hunters who do that.

If it's a law, then I just obey it, what more can you do? The deer population, is by most accounts very high in most states, so I don't think Antler hunting vs. Meat hunting effects those numbers to much either way.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks that survive the early years get that much smarter and more cunning. The numbers of trophy animals taken annually is on the rise. Taking small bucks doesn't really tip the scales against trophy bucks,locally however some areas would benefit from QDM. We don't need it in IL od WI.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Taking small bucks doesn't really tip the scales against trophy bucks. We don't need it in IL od WI.
I TOTALLY disagree with you, in your statement reguarding IL at least.

Ever heard ofthe "Golden Triangle" in IL? I am sure you have since you are from here, a majority of those three counties are locked up by outfitters who practice QM, and look at what they producing year in and year out over there. Thentake a county similar in size, forage, and wooded arealocated out ofthe "Triangle"area and compare the numbers. I can't even begin to tell you how many truck loads of "little bucks" that I see here in the area I hunt, stacked up at the meat locker.

Quick Reply: The way the other guy hunts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.