Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucking the Trend!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bucking the Trend!

Well after reading on this board and many others I'm going to go back to the basics. It seems like the emphasis is on making hunting easier and growing racks.

This year I will only use baking soda for a scent killer.
I will not use grunt tubes or deer scents.
I have never baited or used any feeding supplements so that is no loss.
I will find a brand new piece of new property to hunt do all the scouting and find my own ambush sites. This is something I have alway's found very enjoyable.
I will not utter the words QDM, cull buck or harvest.
If I do kill a big buck I will not have it measured.

I will continue to use a compound and tree stands for now.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Bucking the Trend!

There are so many variables that I'm not sure what trend you're going to buck. It sounds like you're going back to the mid-seventies time period. Good luck with that and have fun. One of these years I'm going to buck the trend your going back to and hunt with a recurve again. But I'll still use my grunt call and a small amount of scent ( to stop them for a shot rather that trying to attract them). I will also continue to use my trail camera because I like getting pics of deer and other wildlife. I've only had the camera for a year and cannot yet claim that it has helped me get a deer. Maybe some day.

Since there is no scoring system in place to see exactly where you stand as a hunter, it is hard to know how much trend you've bucked. If the range was from 0-100, with 0 being dressed in a loin cloth and shooting wooden arrows from a bow made out of a bent limb and 100 being dressed in a total scentcontainment system and shooting space age arrows at 450 fps. I guess I'll strive for around a 50 score. That way I'll be right on the fence ready to jump which ever way public opinion thinks I should.[:-]

The bottom line is, as long as you're hunting legally and ethically, I really don't care how you hunt.Just keep up the good work and have fun.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply Greg.

I don't know if my back will put up with a trad bow, but I'm think of giving it a try.

Way to cold to hunt in a loin cloth in my part of NY, maybe I'll try making clothes from my future kills and hunting in them.

That way I'll be right on the fence ready to jump which ever way public opinion thinks I should.
Public opinion what the heck is that? I'm just getting tired of caring all that stuff in the woods. I've killed a few bucks off the ground with no problem, just going to try and get back to what I found fun.

The bottom line is, as long as you're hunting legally and ethically, I really don't care how you hunt
Ethics whose ethics should we choose?

Legal many things that are legal many don't find ethical.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

My son now has his senior license so I don't have to hunt right next to him anymore. So I'm going to change my hunts abit.

Honestly I have noticed a trend to "let's make hunting as easy as possible' which is fine if that's what your into.

I feel my predatory skills have slipped some in the last few years and I'm going to work on what I felt made me a really good hunter.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM

I'm all for this movement! I've been saying this kind of thing since I started posting here. Why do we need to use all of this fancy clothing and gear? Humans have been killin critters for thousands and thousands of years with next nothing. I'm proud to say I never bought into the scent eliminating clothing scam, and the fancy camo either. Play the wind and you'll be good. Just my .02.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you've decided to hunt "your way". If we'd ALL do that .....ALONG WITH not worrying about how the "other guy" hunts......HNI....and the hunting community, in general, would be better off.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't agree with tha totally GMMAT if we don't Police our own ranks others will.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Sounds like you've decided to hunt "your way". If we'd ALL do that .....ALONG WITH not worrying about how the "other guy" hunts......HNI....and the hunting community, in general, would be better off.
Well said. Congrats Charlie on your new-found hunting endeavors.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Somewhat agree, Charlie.....but I'mworking under the premisewe're talking about legal hunting methods in my statement.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree then we wouldn't see people pushing for minimum point rules/antler restrictions, the end of hunting with Dogs, baiting etc.

We should have no opinion about true canned hunts either with that mind set I guess then, if it's legal we shouldn't discuss it.

Maybe this would make for a another thread.

Quick Reply: Bucking the Trend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.