Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucking the Trend!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bucking the Trend!

NOTHING wrong with discussing alternative methods, Charlie......but when we start condemning and belittling other people's ways of hunting......then we threaten crossinga line. If you want something changed.....lobby the officials in your state that can help make a difference.

What I personally feel about a subject has little to do with whether or not I'd defend your right to pursue game in said manner.....as long as it's legal in your state.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want something changed.....lobby the officials in your state that can help make a difference
Then youare worrying about how the other guy hunts and trying to make his method illegal?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm nottrying to argue with you Charlie....I think you know what I mean. There ARE times when bag limits/seasons/etc...need to be addressed. I wouldn't call lobbying for changes like these "worrying about how the other guy hunts and trying to make his method illegal?".

If the majority of hunters in your area feel a certain way about a subject.....Oh.....let's just say ....baiting.......and your DNR (or similar entity) is in agreement or on the bubble.....then lobbying those who can make a difference is your best bet. If, though, you're condemning the practice of hunters in other states.....and their respective DNR's positions.....I'd call your "methods" COUNTER-productive.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you're going back to the mid-seventies time period.
GregH

Wow! Me too I guess. I haven't used scents for about 3 years and then it was sparingly. I've never hunted over bait or put out any supplements(not legal here) and wouldn't anyway. I haven't used grunt calls in about 5 years, though I see nothing extragant about that. I've grunted small bucks in by using my own vocalizations.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Although I don't worry how someone else hunts as long as its legal, I could probably be called counter productive in discussing certain methods with other hunters..............off the 'net.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I'm changing this year is 100% hunting with my Great Plains Recurve, and I can't wait!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you Charlie. I use no scents, calls, bait, or overly expensive camo. I just sit there and wait in a spot I know the buck I am hunting will pass by. I guess Irely on my skills. That's gospel.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

I've used scents and calls and found them to be inconsistant at best. I think they work better/worse depending on the area, such as buck to doe ratio. While I've had bucks follow a scent drag, more often than not I can tell no difference using them or not. I've found no scent and silence works best in my areas. I've hunted feeders and funnels. I've also thrown a handful of corn on a trail to slow them down. If I had a cornfield, oatfield, or some other food plot I'd hunt that, too. I've always enjoyed the less I take out to the woods the better. But to each his own.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Greg, I like the loin cloth part, i got a chuckle out of that one
ORIGINAL: GregH

There are so many variables that I'm not sure what trend you're going to buck. It sounds like you're going back to the mid-seventies time period. Good luck with that and have fun. One of these years I'm going to buck the trend your going back to and hunt with a recurve again. But I'll still use my grunt call and a small amount of scent ( to stop them for a shot rather that trying to attract them). I will also continue to use my trail camera because I like getting pics of deer and other wildlife. I've only had the camera for a year and cannot yet claim that it has helped me get a deer. Maybe some day.

Since there is no scoring system in place to see exactly where you stand as a hunter, it is hard to know how much trend you've bucked. If the range was from 0-100, with 0 being dressed in a loin cloth and shooting wooden arrows from a bow made out of a bent limb and 100 being dressed in a total scentcontainment system and shooting space age arrows at 450 fps. I guess I'll strive for around a 50 score. That way I'll be right on the fence ready to jump which ever way public opinion thinks I should.[:-]

The bottom line is, as long as you're hunting legally and ethically, I really don't care how you hunt.Just keep up the good work and have fun.