Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just got back from the IOWA Deer Classic

Old 03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default Just got back from the IOWA Deer Classic

Just got back from 3 days at the IA Deer Classic. We had to drive through 15 miles of a closed hwy with semis and vehicles in the ditch and stuck vehicles that we had to get around. It was tough going even after we made it through that. Had a blast!!!! We got to meet some fellow HNI guys, KSHunter(Joey) his wife, and then The Lone Wolf(Todd) and some other guys from Archerytalk and Iowa whitetail.com. I met Gray Wolf Woolens Jeff and my wife and Iboth got fit for our fall predator clothing. Jeff and his buddy were real nice guys and we had a good time shooting the bull with them. We met Byron Ferguson and watched his trick shot seminar. Pretty cool watching him shoot a lifesaver out of the air. We stayed in the same hotel as the Red Hot Chili Peppers and after leaving the hotel lounge we rode the elevator with Flea and got our pic together. We had a blast meeting everybody and seeing lots of faces. Amazing how many people walked up to us and said that they knew us from the hunting forums or the recent magazine articleon Sarahs' whitetail. We had some fine dark stout beers at the Court Avenue Brewery and great food there. The entire downtown area of Des Moines is connected with a heated ,above the ground skywalk system ;so you can travel in warmth anywhere you want to go. We also got to meet Don Higgens, who authors the book called,"Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World." I had read this book as a friend here had loaned it to me, so I had to get it for myself so that my wife can read it. Don Higgens is a class act and one of the nicest guys I have ever met.I also bought Byron Fergusons' book,"Become the Arrow" as I want to get back into doing sometraditional hunting.

Tiffany and Sarah

Me sleeping next to Byron Ferguson

Jeff the owner of Gray Wolf Woolens

The Legend Bucks

Don Higgens, author of "Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World"

Flea and I (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Just got back from the IOWA Deer Classic

HCH, the camo on that last pic of you cracks me up.

Impressive looking wall of mounts.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Sounds like y'all had a blast, Don! Our big show is later this month and I can't wait.

Meetin' Flea would have been a real treat, I'm a big RHCP fan.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Sounds like y'all had a blast, Don! Our big show is later this month and I can't wait.

Meetin' Flea would have been a real treat, I'm a big RHCP fan.
Me too; AWESOME band.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

HCH, the camo on that last pic of you cracks me up.

Impressive looking wall of mounts.
This camo is called Camo Booty and they saw Sarah on a forum and checked out our website and mailed a bunch of free camo to us last week. Flea liked it too.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Great pictures! By the way, did you end up going with the wolfskin or wool Predator?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 PM

We ended up with the wolfskin in predator. Fall/gray, comfort lined, I believe. I can't wait, I have heard so many wonderful things about Gray Wolf Woolens. I love the fact that they are custom made to size
Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics, my god your tall[8D] I just bought Dons book and did not reconize him at the booth i bought it from last week or i would of had him John Henry it[]
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

Hardcore, I saw u there, recognized the logo on your hat and shirt, it was on saturday. I too had a crappy drive, all the way from Algona. Saw 110 cars and 5 or 6 semis in the ditch saturday mornin. Alot of people were there considering the weather. Did the wall get full of deer by Sunday? It was pretty bare on Sat. morning. That camo booty camois pretty sweet, what is the website where I could buy some? Did u check out the dvd from REAL Hunting? It is pretty good, pretty neat the way they have footage from just average Joe's from Iowa.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don, It was good to meet you and your wife and as well. It wasnice to put faces with names. We had a pretty good time. Luckily the roads weren't bad at all, coming from the south. There sure were a ton of big bucks!!! It's nice to come backto the Kansas weather though

Quick Reply: Just got back from the IOWA Deer Classic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.