Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Tips vs Broadheads

Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Default RE: Field Tips vs Broadheads

Broadheads don't wobble and they group pretty well. Pull weight is set at 51 lbs. I have a notion to increase the pull weight and see if the two points of impact don't come closer together. Or maybe see if a 125 gr. broadhead will shoot closer to the same spot as the 100 field point.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

This is why I'm a firm believer in practicing with what you hunt with, broadheads.
This is true, but you're losing penetration and performance if your bow isn't tuned properly. Your bow should be tuned regardless of what tips you are shooting.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

It sounds to me like you may have a combination of problems. I would go through tuning from square 1.
The other questions I wonder about are:

Are u using helical fletching? Are u lining up the vanes w/ the blades of your bh?
Are the arrow straight? It seems to me the straightness tolerance on Excel's is .600. That's not the straightest.
Do you have rest contact? Do a powder test.
If your walk back tuning is o.k. and you have some minor contact,it won't show up in fp's but will in bh's.
Montec's are not as accurate as some other bh's. Did u see the video in yesterday's post here?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Sure did. The video showed the Montec G-5 hitting low and left from the field point in what I assume to be a "perfect" bow. I just hate to start trying to "tune" a bow that, so far as field points are concerned, is dialed in.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Something about your setup is out of tune.........fieldtips will cover this up but fixed blade heads will always show it. How do your arrows fly?? They can't both be flying flat and true and hitting so far off. One (or both) of them has to have less then perfect flight.

There are so many variables here that the best thing to do would be to start from scratch (thankfully it's not hunting season) and figure out what the problem is. Could be arrow spine, FOC, torque, form, rest contact, inserts, BH's, nocks, flecthing, draw weight, draw length, sight, peep, etc.

Lots of stuff that it could be.........most likely it is something simple. If you are not familiar with tuning your bow go to your shop and tell them your problem and have them figure it out (that what they are there for).

Don't let anyone convince you to move your sight THAT much..........if it was only bumping the sight a little bit (1 inch) then fine but being off by as much as you are is a definite sign of a problem.

Good luck..............and as has been mentioned already this is EXACTLY why I encourage everyone to practice with broadheads as much as possible. Imagine how you would feel if opening day was this weekend??

Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My BH and FP do not have the same point of impact,yet both group well w/ each other. We've tried tuning the bow but no luck. My buddy who helps me with this has an older bow that is just like mine, his switchback however shoots them both the same. Some older bows just won't have the same Point of impact when shooting BH and FP. I sight in my BH and practice w/ them for a month before hunting season. All summer I use the FP,way easier on the targets!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Spike

Paper tune after the initial setup. I'll say it again, paper tune after your initial setup. I use Montec 100 and 125 gr for huntingand same arrows with 100 and 125 gr field points for practicing. The Montec's will fly to the exact same spot at the field points as long as the bow is in tune. If it's not in tune they won't hit the spot. Not just Montec's, but any fixed blade
head. You can be way out of tune and get damn good groups with field points and believe that you've got a great shooting bow. People do it for years and never have any idea that their bow has never really been in tune. Bear shafts will fly the same too, as long as the bow is in tune. If you don't know how, have your bow shop help you, or go to one that does know and will help. You won't be sorry.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am lucky that my field points hit within minute space from broadheads. My thought is your bow, like some guns, handles one shell better, mine handles one type of broadhead. I use Crimson Talons and hit where the field points hit, yet I used another type from Spintite and it did the same, like right and low. So I switched back to the Talons and was on again. So think you might want to try another broadhead!