Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cheating
14.49%
Fair Play
85.51%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

So, am I the only guy who feels that the guys out there this month scouring the fields, lines and edges with quads and sleds are... well... Cheating? The Road Hunters of shed season?

Seriously, if you want the glory, IMO, you've gotta cowboy-up, and step away from the vehicle and use the shoeleather express.

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Ya know?

There are just some things in life that you should do the old-fashioned way. This is one of 'em.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Default RE: Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

As i do not have a sled it is cheating. My dad and i are serisously considering buying a sled maybe this spring when they are cheap cheap so then it will be perfectly fine.[8D] Personally i do not have much of an issue people using a sled for shed hunting but i have more of an issue of where they are shed hunting and the land they go on. Many feel because they are on a sled they are allowed to go anywhere they please. Therefore they drive over alfalfa, and clover ruining the crops. Come the spring time you can look across a hay field and tell exactly where a sled went because the alfafla is froze out in one solid line the width of the track the whole length of the field. They do not ask permission they just go. They do not own the land, they do not pay the taxes, they do not farm it. Would be nice to drive on their lawns with my quad after a nice inch of rain and let my mudlites rip it up for them. It is no different, people here have no respect for others property. If they stayed on their own land and public trails i would be fine however i have difficulty with the concept when someone i have absolutley nothing to do with is driving around on my land picking up sheds. The sledders for the majority are total retards here, there have been times this winter they have been ripping around on our home quarter just 100 yards from the house. Who does that? all i can do is sit and watch as i do not have a sled and the snow is a lil deep for the bike.What do you do. You put signs out they drive right past them.I blocked off the entrance to one field by falling 3 large poplar across the approach and they hooked onto them and skidded them out of the way. Youput harrows out there for them to hit then they can turn around and sue you. You cannot win with these people.Sorry i just get a little worked up over this issue.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I rarely shed hunt anymore.....too lazy I guess[8D]. But when I did or do, its by foot.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do my shed hunting barefoot while wearing an eye patch.
All you shoe/boot wearers are cheaters
Old 03-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never really viewed shed hunting as a competition, so it's hard to see someone as cheating. I do see your point though. If you're puttin' in the miles you don't want to see someone else beat you to a shed by rolling up on a quad.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 PM

I usually usemy quad to patrol the fence lines, field edges, and around the quad trails through the woods. Do I see it as cheating? No. I'm on my own property and I am trying to be as efficent as possible. Yeah, I could walk all of this but that would take most of the day and leave me no time to go check the thickets.

One thing I find amazing in archery today is how many people are so dead set on calling out others for using a tool to help them become more efficent. You see it with everything, food plots, atv's, bows, camo, scent ellimination, blinds, treestands, game cameras,clothes, ect.. It seems that alot of people feel that every archery should be wearing a loin cloth shooting a bow they made out of a treelimb and arrows tipped with sharpened rocks. The reason we are the top predator is simply because we are smart enough to come up with these tools to make us more efficent but seems that in todays society that when you use those tools you get ridiculed for it.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

wow lol never heard of cheating while looking for sheds.its a little childish i think.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I guess using an atv is not fair chase. Come on...cheating? It's shed hunting for crying out loud.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as they are not tearing up properties...so be it.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man, I must be old school. Maybe I just like to hoof it more than most.

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.