Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cheating
14.49%
Fair Play
85.51%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

So, it sounds like the vast majority here will take advantage of the most effective legal means of shedhunting available. Fair enough.

I guess the logical extension of this would be to say that the majority would also hunt deer from the truck if it was legal too, just because it's easy to cover more ground or see more deer that way.

Weird way of thinking... but... to each his own I guess.

I just couldn't pride myself in something that I ran over with the quad - again - that's a personal thing, and no indictment of anyone else's way of doing things. I'd just rather go out there and hoof it the hard way.

Must bemy"oldschool" colors shining through. Evidently, I'm a little bit of a dinosaur.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So, it sounds like the vast majority here will take advantage of the most effective legal means of shedhunting available. Fair enough.

I guess the logical extension of this would be to say that the majority would also hunt deer from the truck if it was legal too, just because it's easy to cover more ground or see more deer that way.

Weird way of thinking... but... to each his own I guess.

I just couldn't pride myself in something that I ran over with the quad - again - that's a personal thing, and no indictment of anyone else's way of doing things. I'd just rather go out there and hoof it the hard way.

Must bemy"oldschool" colors shining through. Evidently, I'm a little bit of a dinosaur.

There's a big difference between outsmarting a deer than outsmarting a shed.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Quick:

You sorta went from (in my opinion) panning for gold to killing miners in one fell swoop.....lol. That's a bit of a stretch you had there.

MANY think hunting wih a compound bow is taking advantage of too much technology. Some think going as far as the draw-Lok ISN'T. It's whatever each individual is accepting of.....and it's very personal.

What if it were arrowheads we were after? Or, better.....civil war memorabilia.....with a metal detector. I don't give it a second thought.....how they found it. I've never thought of it.

I just wish I could find ONE!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just don't see how so many "hunters" can so strongly support ATV/sled use in one aspect of hunting, but yet denounce it as it relates to another aspect of hunting.

It's okay to use it for X, but not okay for Y. (Okay to look for sheds from the quad in shed season, but not okay to look for deer from the quad in deer season.)

I'm just not seeing the difference, but like I've said before - I'm old school, so a lot of this stuff just doesn't register to me. ...and I come from an area where ATV's are overused and mis-used to a point where they have become publicenemy number one.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

OMG...I can't even believe you would compare the two that way. That is just ridiculous. Hunting for sheds is a totally different ball game to hunting a live animal.

Dang those Indians anyway, I bet they found sheds on there horses. They are a bunch of cheaters...oh but wait, they killed buffalo off of their horses. They weren't hunters, they were cheaters.

Give me a break quick...that comparison is way off base.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

OMG...I can't even believe you would compare the two that way. That is just ridiculous. Hunting for sheds is a totally different ball game to hunting a live animal.

Dang those Indians anyway, I bet they found sheds on there horses. They are a bunch of cheaters...oh but wait, they killed buffalo off of their horses. They weren't hunters, they were cheaters.

Give me a break quick...that comparison is way off base.
Actually, it is a good comparison for my area. Try bowhunting here when thewaterfoul hunters are driving all over the place with there rigs and 4-wheelers. They don't have to stay on a road and they don't. During theGeneral Deer Season, for ever one hunter on foot there are 3truck loads ofroadhunters. While they do need to stay on establishedroads/trail... guess what?? Thetrails the duck hunters made are deemed established by deerroadhunters when they are not. It not just a few bad apples butquite A LOT. It isn't hunting tome nor do I like it. Shedhunting is no different. Postedsigns are ignored, They chase the deer,they rut up land in the spring and show no respect for other's land. That is not what shedhunting is to me. I am out to enjoy it. I take pride in leaving an area in the same shape it was before I started minus some sheds.

For the guy/gal that doesn't abuse the use of his/her quad or sled... good for them. I am glad theyenjoy their stuff and can respect that. I rarely see that here though!!

I understand whatquicksilver is saying. If I had started the thread, I wouldn't had just stopped at cheaters. I am sure the words...lazy slobs and scum would have been tossedin too when thinking of " my area ". Technology is only as good as the user using it or abusing it. Give mea good pair of boots. I'll take pride in wearing them out. Oh and I don't have to worry about getting a flat tire should Irunover a shed. I've heard of a few guys doing it with their quads. One guy with his truck and he took out both front and back tire. Too funny!!!

Tim
Old 03-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose I've seen more pointless threads on this forum but this one is right up there with the silliest.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good points Tim - I agree 100%.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

OK, so.... wow. this is about pointless. but here we go
I use a 4-wheeler to look for sheds along fences and in fields (that are not planted and it doesn't tear anything up) but I am a cheater because I use an ATV? I look for sheds because I want to see what kind of deer are left for me to hunt next season. you are telling me that there are shed hunting ethics? HA That is funny...Mr. Oldschool huh? I walk to find sheds too, I walk ALOT, up and down hills, through creeks, across fields, over the plains, and all over, but you have the nerve to call me a cheater because I use a 4-wheeler to look for a Deer Antler?! Shed hunting is not actually hunting, it is antler FINDING, SEARCHING, EXPLORING. I am not driving deer off of my property and I am not tearing up anyones property, I will use a 4-wheeler because it helps me acheive my goal of simply finding out what kind of deer are still in the area. I am not out with a truck shooting sheds, I am not poaching for sheds, because there is no such thing, that is a horrible example, it is nothing alike and you know it. I can't wait for the day that a law comes out that says "No Shed hunting From Any Vehicleof ANY KIND" That would really show the ignorance of our DNR. You walk all youwant, but you don't call me a "cheater" because I can ride a 4-wheeler and see a shed and pick it up. I can call you a cheater for using glasses, for using boots to get more traction on hills, for wearing a coat to stay out longer and not get cold, for using a backpack to put antlers in, for taking the antler from its natural state of rest. FACE IT, You cannot leave the woods the same as it was when you came in, because you are taking things out of it. this thread has absolutely no real and strong point. I am a Lazy Slob Scumbag? .... thats nice to call a fellow hunter just doing what he can to find an antler. You took this simple aspect of finding a shed antler, and you turned it into a limited rules and traditional hunting game. I will Follow all rules of Deer hunting, but finding an antler? be realistic, its not cheating.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

OK, so.... wow. this is about pointless. but here we go
I use a 4-wheeler to look for sheds along fences and in fields (that are not planted and it doesn't tear anything up) but I am a cheater because I use an ATV? I look for sheds because I want to see what kind of deer are left for me to hunt next season. you are telling me that there are shed hunting ethics? HA That is funny...Mr. Oldschool huh? I walk to find sheds too, I walk ALOT, up and down hills, through creeks, across fields, over the plains, and all over, but you have the nerve to call me a cheater because I use a 4-wheeler to look for a Deer Antler?! Shed hunting is not actually hunting, it is antler FINDING, SEARCHING, EXPLORING. I am not driving deer off of my property and I am not tearing up anyones property, I will use a 4-wheeler because it helps me acheive my goal of simply finding out what kind of deer are still in the area. I am not out with a truck shooting sheds, I am not poaching for sheds, because there is no such thing, that is a horrible example, it is nothing alike and you know it. I can't wait for the day that a law comes out that says "No Shed hunting From Any Vehicleof ANY KIND" That would really show the ignorance of our DNR. You walk all youwant, but you don't call me a "cheater" because I can ride a 4-wheeler and see a shed and pick it up. I can call you a cheater for using glasses, for using boots to get more traction on hills, for wearing a coat to stay out longer and not get cold, for using a backpack to put antlers in, for taking the antler from its natural state of rest. FACE IT, You cannot leave the woods the same as it was when you came in, because you are taking things out of it. this thread has absolutely no real and strong point. I am a Lazy Slob Scumbag? .... thats nice to call a fellow hunter just doing what he can to find an antler. You took this simple aspect of finding a shed antler, and you turned it into a limited rules and traditional hunting game. I will Follow all rules of Deer hunting, but finding an antler? be realistic, its not cheating.
DeerSlayer

Are you from my area?? If not... try rereading my post. You seem to miss what I was saying. I don't care if you use a quad or a sled as long as you have permission to be on the ground or you own it. I never said that was cheating or you are a lazy slob. It's the guys that abuse themwho are the lazyslobs, whichwas my only gripe.

Tim

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting -- Cheaters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.