Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow longivity

Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default bow longivity

I bought my mathews lx from a co-worker 3 years ago. He had it for 4 seasons. The bow shoots great and I took a few deer, squirrels and a racoonthis season. How long are they good for? How often do you get a new stick-n-string?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bow longivity

A bow should last a lifetime depending that you take care of it.
I have an old Golden Eagel Evolution that I used for over 13 years , only had to replace the limbs and string once.
How ever I did get a new Darton Maurader last september as a gift but I still use that old bow as a back up and it still shoots great.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:33 PM

I currently use a Pearson Spoiler from the early 80's. Killed bunches of deer with it. It's loud, heavy, not much let-off.But lots of dead deer.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on who ya talk to on here.. some of them get the top of the line every year. im not jus talkin one bow they get 3 or 4 top of the lines... personally.. i like to update maybe 3-4 years.. but like everyone else is sayin you keep care of it they should shoot as long as you need it to
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

most folk' ll tell ya to get new ..but as one feller said..take care and itll last..gotta .restring and the like. I gotta a Martin lynx magnum for many years and still gits deers
Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 PM

You can sure keep it quite a long time. But I believe the limbs loose some of their energy quantity after a while.
My buddy had limbs replaced on an older Martin bow(5-6 years old).
and we chronographed it w/ the new limbs at 14fps. faster than the old ones. It could have been better material design in the new limbs,but it really opened my eyes. A bow takes alot of abuse when shot. Other than the parallell limb bows, conventional limbs configurations take much more because they travel a greater distance.
I'm no engineer, but it only makes sense to me.
Of course that's not to say you can't shoot it. You can & my friend did,very well. Just not what it was.