Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your maximum range on a game animal???

Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 AM

Default RE: What is your maximum range on a game animal???

I will hit a 3d target at 70-80, but in a "real" hunting scenario...no more than 30 for me.

Like the other guys said here, the longer it takes the arrow to hit the animal the more chances it will move.

my 0.02

Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 442deer

B. hole,
It seems like alot of your posts are just to stir the pot and get folks riled up. 85 yards is simply not ethical...Don't be a retard
hahahahah oh.......wow I LMAO hardcore. That's funny as hell.!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow hunting 30 - 35 yards
Knife hunting 1 yard
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed at 45 yrds. And thats about my max. Practice out to 55 just in case i was forced to shoot that far and thought i could make an ethical shot.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my buck this year at 42 yrds. No wind, everything was perfect as far as conditions go. I had that same deer at 30 yards, with the wind howling like 25mph, and I passed on it. My range definitely depends on conditions, but +-40 yrds is about it for me.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I can shoot out to 100 yrds tried it once, just for fun was about a basketball size group would never attempt it on an animal, in the woods max ill go is 30-40 yrds.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

As others have said, 30yds is the max. Normally where I hunt there is too much brush to go any further for an ethical shot.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside a barn, but I have no range limitations on game. [8D][8D][8D]

But seriously, on deer, I'd say about 25 yards.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:58 AM

An arrow at 85 yards takes a long time to get to it's intended target. Think about it, how many times have you seen an animal stay still long enough at an extended range to draw your bow, settle your pin, and pull through your shot. Factor in your nerves and not being "warmed up" and you are really creating a situation for disaster (wounded game animal).I don't think that the harvest of an animal is worth the gamble of wounding one because the animals we hunt for deserveour highest respects. Sure some of us may be able to shoot out to 100 yards with an arrow consistently but that's at a stationary object in a controlled, nerveless environment.
I would say that my maximum range would be 30 yards under ideal conditions at a game animal. This isn't saying that this is the limit on my ability because I consistently shoot 3 inch groups out to fifty yards with my broadheadsand can consistenly hit a pie plate out to 65 (don't ever shoot farther than that) but I am one of those people who only take shots that I will double lung the animal 100 out of 100 times. I've never lost an animal and I'm not trying to say I am better than anyone else but I am very particular with shot placement and I do pass up on a lot of "chip shots" that I probably could have made. To me, a lost animal is just not worth it. An opportunity to just watch a whitetail in it's natural environment is a trophy in itself to me and I thank God for it every day.
Sorry for my rambling
-Chris
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside a barn, but I have no range limitations on game. [8D][8D][8D]

When you're in the barn, try turning 90 degrees to the left or to the right . That'll help.

Haven't hunted with a bow yet, but I'mpretty sure it would have to be 30 yards or less for me.

Quick Reply: What is your maximum range on a game animal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.