Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your maximum range on a game animal???

Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is your maximum range on a game animal???

I think it all depend's o the situation and wind condition's ,in the wood's 20 to 30yrds ,in the open up to 50yrds . Again depending on condition's . I want to kill it not wound it. I must say I just finally read the whole thread and there's a lot of bull being spread here and as for Ethic's ,I couldn't care less if you can consistantly shoot at 80yrds or so . It's not good Ethic's to shoot at animal's at that distance ,I don't give a crap how good a shot you are . You just don't do that .

nubo

nubo
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

30 yards right now but when I get my Drenalin in a couple months it will move up to 60
Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every situation depends on many things-All have been covered at one time or another in this thread. Let me BRAG. In my day of tourny shooting I posted perfect indoor 300 rounds, Perfect Field & Animal NFAA outdoor rounds & maybe a few others like Perfect outdoor PAA rounds. Now-these were shot from 20 through 80 yards (depending on the target). I "KNEW" I was going to spot out on those targets.
So, I guess I faired pretty well. I am ALSO starting my 51st year of Bowhunting & frankly, very successful if "YOU" measure success with KILLS.
In my STUPID "DAYS" Twenties-I killed a 6 point Buck at 55 yards the last day of the season on a "bet you can't hit that deer" with my 65# American Cheetah Recurve & a wood Arrow as we walked into our stands.
I also shot a Grouses head off at 25 yards once (Pure Ass Luck for sure).
Remember-MY "STUPID" days. With age "MOST of the TIME" comes a little "DON't be so STUPID" thoughts & we MATURE (some, not all).
I am willing to wager I can hold my own with the MAJORITY of Bowhunters in the woods now adays & on any 3-D range even though I am a senior & don't shoot everyday as I used to.
I have taken Elk 35 yds longest & 41 yards Buffalo (compounds). Whitetail, Mule Deer, Black Bears,Caribou, Wild Hogs & many others average under 25 yards & I am guessing my kills at around 200 total. Want to know something-I bet my "CLEAN" MISSES at 25 yds. & less is 300. Man, I have shot a lot of Arrows in my time at Biggame. Argue & tell us "HOW" you do it. It boils down to YOU will do whatever you think you can get away with when your out there on your own-if you think you can get em at 80 yds., your gonna shoot, if not, you will let em pass...
My shots are not any longer than when I used a recurve & sometimes "I still Miss"..Good Luck fellas & keep em in the 10 ring & everyone will be happy.....Old age makes you long winded.
Have I ever wounded an animal-unfortunatly, yes. Shouldered 2 Bull Elk, 2 Whitetail Bucks, 1 Mule Deer Buck, 1 Black Bear, 1 hog & 1 cow Elk. Yep, I remember those too & of allI honestly think only 2 died. The Black Bear was killed 1 week later by a rifle hunter, I saw one of the Whitetail Bucks about 2 weeks later. I think the Mule Deer Buck & Cow Elk didn't make it.
All these were at 25 yds. or less....
Please, don't start on me about not being ethical or a bad shot.
Oh, Washington Hunter-I "think" remember you saying (sometime) you wanted to start a BH video production-make sure your ethical in your productions. Good Luck.....
Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 PM

WOW!!
That's a bowhunting resume. It's good to know there are a few people on here with the experience to give sound advice. Not just a bunch of punk ass kids.

Thanks,
442deer...........11 years bowhunting, and still learning with every outing.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fechmupbud

If Hunter Dan, teenager, I know more than you, and you, and you... says that ethics are personal, then the same could be said about other issues in ethics. Right? There are literally tens of thousands of COLLEGE UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE courses (got that Hanson? - college) that deal with ethics - all of which cause debates similar to this ongoing debacle. Abortion, religion, business, etc... Appearantly this kid who has more worthless, uninformative, posts than most of the members on here combined, has it all figured out and we should just shut up because he's better than us.Kid, you need to spend some time living life before yougo disrespectfully dismissing people all across the country for thinking differently than you.Some of us areeagerly awaiting March 11 when we'll get an extrahour of daylight to spend in the fields, woods, marshes, bays, andoceansaccessible to us, and don't have time toconstantlypatrol various forumsdismissingnumerous members as inferior.
Are you serious?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM

1 million yards! I'm not sure why this comes up so often, why does it matter what you think your maximum effective yardage is. It changes withevery hunt, and every person. I've been in situations were I wouldn't shoot over 15 yards. If someone hunted that same stand behind me they might think they could make a 40 yard shot. Is this a way to compare your shooting to someone elses? Good luck on your path to effective yardage, and sorry if I came off as a jerk but I've seen this same topic at least 2 other times.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 PM

As a heart attack... It's killing me to hold back. Here I was merely pointing out that his ethics are personal, don't argue with me attitude is slightly flawed.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

as a heart attack... it's killing me to hold back.
Oh[&:]. I like the new signature, doesnt show any sign of you being psychotic or anything...Dan I think he has a crush on you[8D].
Old 03-06-2007, 06:36 PM

don't hold back tell us whats on your mind

Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

as a heart attack... it's killing me to hold back.
Oh[&:]. I like the new signature, doesnt show any sign of you being psychotic or anything...Dan I think he has a crush on you[8D].
Wouldn't be the first.

He does show some obsessive tendancies, doesn't he? I wonder what my old psych teacher would have to say about this joker.

Quick Reply: What is your maximum range on a game animal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.