Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting - Anyone use a dog?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Shed Hunting - Anyone use a dog?

While shed hunting, I always take the dogs (labs). My buddy says a lot of guys will train their dog to hunt for fresh sheds, and my younger one is infatuated with the scent on them. It's just a matter of time beforehe finds one. I DO NOT want to encourage him to chase deer and am basically asking if anyone thinks I may be heading down a bad road with this. I've been told that they won't chase deer because of this, but the scents are one in the same. Another friends Chesapeake was killed by a truck chasing a deer and I don't want to encourage such behavior.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed Hunting - Anyone use a dog?

This is my buddy Ty's dog Whisper. He normally comes with us when we go and does a pretty good job findin sheds.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although, i take him alot, and taunt him with sheds and make him aware of that word alot, im still kickin his but, this year 4 to his one. he drug this one home several weeks ago. Here is Boomer and his shed.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 PM

well if you call this using your lab I donnt know but usually I just look on the porch and my labs are choowing on one so I like it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

my pup is 8 weeks old.. i gave a shed to him the other day an he really wouldnt pay much attention to it.. took him out for a "shed hunt" an he jus wanted to eat snow an grass, but ill keep workin with him... he never left 10 feet from my side.. (yet) .id love to train him to find sheds.. hes lab/beagle mix so the darn thing aughta be good for some kinda chasing or finding... lol
Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Wish I had a dog to hunt 'em
Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO TEACH MY DOG TO HUNT THEM.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Here is my dog chopper with his first find after training him to find sheds since he was 2 months he is 9 months here.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

fechmupbud...Ill be damned...thats the time
Old 03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

my pup is 8 weeks old.. i gave a shed to him the other day an he really wouldnt pay much attention to it.. took him out for a "shed hunt" an he jus wanted to eat snow an grass, but ill keep workin with him... he never left 10 feet from my side.. (yet) .id love to train him to find sheds.. hes lab/beagle mix so the darn thing aughta be good for some kinda chasing or finding... lol
A Lab/beagle mix? Id train him to hunt jackalopes

A couple years ago I took my dog out to see if he could help in finding sheds, but he only found disgusting dead rodents and owl pellets.[:'(] Im pretty much stuck finding them by myself.

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting - Anyone use a dog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.