Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about shooting more archery events

Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Thinking about shooting more archery events

I am going to get more involved in the local archery scene starting this spring. Definately a consistent 3D league and possibly some targets as well (if I can find the right setting).

What is the target archery scene like??........I really want to have more fun then viciously compete. I like a good competition but not to the point where no one is enjoying themselves unless they win. I have been turned off by quite a few guys that take themselves WAY too seriously in local 3D events.

There is a VERY good pro archer that gives lessons within reasonable distance from me. I know this could never hurt but is it something I should definitely do or see how it goes first without them??

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking about shooting more archery events

Being with some friends that just want to have some fun and practice up for the season just like you want is the key. Some take it more serious than others but usually for there own reasons. I take my son and meet up with a few friends and we ham it up just come to a shoot with me here in southern Indiana with us hick folk and we will show ya a good timeIts just what ya make it and i agree, finding the right setting. good luck!! and happy shooting.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick to the hunter class 1st yr - fixed pins, 12"stab or shorter, screw in tips and 35 yd max for most local CNY shoots. Some great local shooters, but the vast majority have fun.

Check 3Dshoots.com - Lansing has an indoor shoot in April where many of the CNY locals will be. There is a club league in the summer with Onon,Cay, and Cort county clubs.

See you there
Steve
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO, if you are going to step up your archery game, lessons would be a great idea. Build a good foundation before you start shooting in leagues, and it can only help you with form, proper muscle memory, and of course, score.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas:

If you only want to shoot for fun, then honestly I wouldn't spend the time or money to see a coach. If you hit that ceiling of what you are capable of on your own, and you really desire to be more competitive and are willing to do 3-6 months of training on the basics (not fun and boringly repetitive) to redevelop what you have learned then a coach can help tons.

I still don't know where you are in NY but I plan to attend a LOT of events in central NY and a few in western NY this year. I think you are in the western part of the state and if you are interested I would love to meet up and shoot at some point, I know I will be out there for the IBO State Championship at Active Bowhunters of WNY (Holland, NY) on 6/9-6/10.

There are mixed crowds at local 3D events, some guys are very serious because they compete at the state, regional, and national level and local events are where they can practice for those big shoots. I am one of those guys, but I try my best to be as courteous as possible of everyone on the course, and always make sure to have a blast when I am out there. If the group I am in is holding another group up I am the first guy to ask them if they want to shoot through and ahead of us. I am not so serious that I cannot have fun, and actually most of the best guys I know don't get that serious...............it is difficult to beat the mental part of the game if you cannot have fun, otherwise you can get lost in your head pretty easy and start to think about score, etc. I would say at the local shoots here 75% of the shooters are there for fun only and then the remaining 25% are there to compete and serious.

I hope you can enjoy target archery in some form, it sure beats sitting on the couch.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

A fun loving guy like you will make friends easy..just get out there!

Subjects to avoid between shots (QDM, antler restrictions, supplemental feeding, baiting, sharp shooters, side businesses, tax evasion, high fence hunts, low fence hunts, camoflauge, best bow,men of the cloth, moderators, the uneducated masses, and of course anything personal)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gonna shoot 3D as soon as the weather gets better here in NNY. Right now doing the indoor league to keep arm in shape!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

A fun loving guy like you will make friends easy..just get out there!

Subjects to avoid between shots (QDM, antler restrictions, supplemental feeding, baiting, sharp shooters, side businesses, tax evasion, high fence hunts, low fence hunts, camoflauge, best bow,men of the cloth, moderators, the uneducated masses, and of course anything personal)
110 hits on an Atlas Thread and no comments.. come on that right there^ is funny and I don't care who you are..I bet Atlas himself smiled ..we can still have some clean fun can't we?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

No doubt, that is funny.Very creative!