Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TOOK THE KIDS TO THE RANGE

Old 02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default TOOK THE KIDS TO THE RANGE

I took my 12 year old daughter and my 16 year old son to the archery range yesterday. My son had a great time, but my daughter is HOOKED!
I wish everyone could have seen her jump up and down when she hit center-target at 20 yards with that 25 pound recurve. Archery is all I've heard from here since we left. Her birthday is next month. Looks like I'll be looking for a bow for her. My pro shop owner suggested a (big surprise here) Mathews Genesis. Does anyone have any pointers on something for a 12 year old girl? Maybe something with more growth potential than a Genesis?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Default RE: TOOK THE KIDS TO THE RANGE

browning makes a 30-40 lbs bow i think with a 10icnh adjustment in draw length
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

the browning children bows are top notch!! thats my recommendation
Old 02-25-2007, 08:49 PM

i use a browning micro adrenaline with 40-50lb dw and like it but i think it will only last me one more year untill im goin to need another on but has done me well and will refuse to stop hunting with it until i shoot my first game with it
Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 PM

For a beginner kids bow the genisis is nice. Especially if you have two kids since it is not draw length specific. They could both shoot it as long as they didn't want to use sights. Or could change them for each kid of you wanted.

They also make a genisis pro with a draw stop on the cam so you can adjust the draw length to fit someone.

If you want to get her a regular bow, the brownings are good, PSE has some, My girlfriend had an Alpine that was pretty nice for a couple of hundred dollars. She now has a Rintec which is much better, but cost more, and hoyt dropped it?

All depends on how serious you want to get with it.

You could get her a nice recurve as well.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great way to spend time with em. Kudos to you.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like fun
Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been looking at Browning, PSE, Diamond, and the Mathews Ignition. Haven't looked yet to see what Hoyt or some of the other companies offer for beginner bows. I watched her draw an Ignition set at 40 lbs. It was a struggle for her, so I'm thinking that a 30-40 lb draw adjusted down to 30 with a good let-off would be a good place to start. It would be a while before she outgrew it, if ever. It would be cheaper to get a lesser youth bow, but I might as well start her out with something she could hunt with. I think it would boost her self-esteem to be able to shoot at 30 and 40 yards with me. Thanks for all of the pointers.