Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Custom String?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom String?

Cananyone tell me if there is aloss in speed, and/ormore or less relieablein a custom made string versusa Zebra Twist string?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Custom String?

Cananyone tell me if there is aloss in speed, and/ormore or less relieablein a custom made string versusa Zebra Twist string?
You are kidding right?

There is no comparision between a Zebra and custom string.

The Zebra string is junk you will be better off getting a string and cable from gibblet right here on the forum

His strings are top notch and a customer service second to none.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ausie have you chrono'd your bow with the new string? did you gain any fps?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Ausie Said! Gibblet makes awesome strings and cables, you won't be sorry.

Shane
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not yet will try and crono it before we go hog hunting tomorrow.

Yeah I knowI am a slacker
Old 02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

You are kidding right?
Ya I am kidding, that's why I posted the question. Not EVERYBODY is a technical expert like yourself.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not yet will try and crono it before we go hog hunting tomorrow.

Yeah I knowI am a slacker

Im interested to see if you picked up any fps
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

You are kidding right?
Ya I am kidding, that's why I posted the question. Not EVERYBODY is a technical expert like yourself.
Just an expression solo....just an expression. Aussie meant no arrogance in it......

Even if you don't go w/ "custom" strings, you can do SOOOO much better than Zebra. Vapor Trail and Winner's Choice are great options. WC's are a bit pricey, but well worth it. Zebra's really stretch, and IMO don't last as long as others.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:20 AM

fps gain is no magic formula. we're all using the same materials, or have access to materials others use. i don't think i can match the speed a mathews bow comes w/ from the factory using 452x -which is what they use. why? its not magic. they short strand their strings. they're using 18 strands of 452x for the string. why? to get the ibo speed up. why won't i do it? do you think i want folks talking about my strings the way they do zebra strings? notwithstanding i use better techniques - which i do, all things being equal - if we use the same amount and type of serving - they're string will be faster by 6 fps or so because i use 2 more strands. i can match the speed w/ an 8125 string, but then you have to deal w/ 8125, which is no big deal, but its not set it and forget it like 452x. basically, when you get a sb or a drenalin, or a sbxt - you're getting 5-6 fps of fluff or false speed because they're decreasing string weight by shorting strands. bowtech, for instance, uses 24 strands of 452x - so mathews is using 6 less strands - and still producing slower bows. mathews are great bows, but stranding down to 18 w/ 452x is a cheap speed trick (besides i can tell you by the amt of strings they make it saves a fair bit of money in the long run).
so, to make a long story short - there is no magic in speed - its science, and until a new material is invented, or converted to archery - there are trade-off's to be made, and sacrifices to be made for speed.some i'll make, some i won't.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt my ROSS would pick anything up with stock WC strings will it?

Quick Reply: Custom String?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.