Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer decoys

Old 02-23-2007, 02:25 PM

Default RE: deer decoys

good find hardcorehunter. I also stuff the redi doe in a duffle bag to haul in and out of the woods. You can also try the FeatherFlex bedded deer shell decoy. It can fold flight like a bed roll and be tied on a pack. I have had good responses to the featherflex decoy but the range is limited since the low profile of the bedded deer.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, im diggin the new avatar, looks great
ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I think they could be safely used in gun country by having some orange on them during transportation(if not in a dufflebag),set up, and takedown if you are a treestand hunter and if you are a ground hunter, place some orange on thedecoyor orange above or nearthe decoy on a tree branch. Be careful for sure!! I have a buckwing bobblehead turkey decoy and the movement and detail is awesome. The heads really move with realism, something conventional decoys have always lacked.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Don-

That sure looks like a Carrylite decoy that wasn't assembled correctly. It looks as if they pushed the rib through its locking position. My buddy and I both have Carrylite's and he does this fairly often so the deer head actually drops and it looks like it is feeding. What do other Carrylite owners think?

I Googled Buckwing deer decoy and nothing came up. Where did you get that picture? I might have to set my Carrylite up and get a picture to compare.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have a buck and a doe and have had some success with both. Face the buck away from you and the doe toward you. I like to use a scent soaked white rag instead of the tail. Deer have definately noticed, but nothing like you see on videos. That is probably why they stay in my garage...theySUCK to carry into the field. With a decoy, bow, pack and CRP, eeesh. Like a monkey humpin a football. If I had a "partner" or at least a son to make carry the darn thing....
Old 02-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about setting up a decoy in front of my trail camera to seehow deer react to it....anyone ever do this?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Who makes a fawn decoy.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: KS227

Face the buck away from you and the doe toward you.
I thought it was the other way around. Don't you want the doe facing away from you, so that the business end of her is toward youand the Buck facing toward you, soanother approachingbuck has towalks around to check out the head gear? Or am I wrong?
Thanks
Crutch
Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

My father inlaw used the Renzo(sp) this year for the first time. The cardboard ones, his was the buck. He had it set up in one of the deer trails. This buck (bigger than the decoy) came trotting around the bend in the trail. I guess as soon as it saw it (pretty close) he just about went right to his knees, then popped up and hauled a$$. Being physically bigger, why would this buck take off as fast as it could? It was just about the right time to be seeing bucks challenge one another.
Anyways he hasn't used it since. I know he cut the antlers off of it and plans to use it as a doe next time. Thats about all I know about them!
Crutch
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Ive tried an older delta buck / doe .
Had a 6 pointer almost licking my decoys nose.
Iwas so amused I never lifted my bow .
Only 10 yards from my stand..
Ive had good luck and bad with it ??
Yes the wobble head buck looks like a carrie lite.

Anyone use a carry lite ??
Buddy has one he never used , its a doe $75.00.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I use the Flambeau decoy and love it. I did NOT buy the antler kit for it. I took a small 6 point rack and made my own with bolts and wing nuts, totally removable. I as well use a white rag soaked with scent with a small screw to the back end. It is very amusing to watch the deer react to seeing it. In an earlier post, someone said a buck ran off from the seeing a buck decoy and asked why? Simple, the buck that ran off got whooped from another deer. The biggest deer is not always the winner. Which is why I use a small rack. Less intimidating, next year I may try a set of spikes. Deer that are not dominant will not come into a decoy if they have lost a fight. They may not even come into a doe if their pride has been damaged.

As far as carrying it afield, it sucks! But worth it. Manufacturers strongly suggest not using a decoy during gun season at all!!!!! Can't blame them. Their are idiots out there that shoot deer with collars and bells that will not hesitate to shoot a shadow of a deer even if it just a body shadow. You can paint it bright orange if you like but, that won't stop someone before first light scoping in on you and possibly making a fatal mistake.

Quick Reply: deer decoys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.