Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default RE: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Atlas, length of time here has nothing to do with it
It has a lot to do with it.........it marks a clear distinction between somthing you NEED to do and something you WANT to do.

and my statements were not rediculous .... you don't support it 100% ... you talk from both sides of your mouth.
Saying anyone on these boards is siding with the anti's is beyond rediculous. Again, maybe you should stick around longer then a month before making such foolish comments.

I support the killing of urban deer as population control 100%..........trying to pass it off to the public as bowhunting??? That's another story.

I have no idea what the rest of your post means because you butchered the quote feature.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Host of Hosts

This wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. It would ruin what hunting is to me
When I said this I didn't mean to sound as if I was against it completely.
I'm not. Just not what I'd be interested in. I think there is a need for herd reduction in alot of areas and I wouldn't be against Bowhunters getting more opportunities to participate instead of wasting tax dollars to hire the services out.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

This wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. It would ruin what hunting is to me
When I said this I didn't mean to sound as if I was against it completely.
I'm not. Just not what I'd be interested in. I think there is a need for herd reduction in alot of areas and I wouldn't be against Bowhunters getting more opportunities to participate instead of wasting tax dollars to hire the services out.
Doug, your quote was fine ...you stated for you. You did not include everyone in it like Mr. Atlas did by his blanket statements.

atlasman:
"tame pregant deer" ....
"a ghastly task " ....
"to pass it off as hunting" ....
"you are never gonna convince an intelligent adult that the deer that was staring at them yesterday on the 8th tee box needs to be "hunted". It just makes us look foolish.......and even worse it makes us look like the EXACT thing we do not want to be perceived as........guys who simply like to kill stuff."
"I don't want that as part of our reputation"
There is a HUGE difference in your post and his .....
Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Doug, your quote was fine ...you stated for you. You did not include everyone in it like Mr. Atlas did by his blanket statements.
Presenting this as bowhunting makes it a blanket statement that affects us ALL.........apparently you are OK with some blanket statements but not others. Weird.

atlasman:
"tame pregant deer" ....
You do realize that many of the does will be pregnant right now right?

"a ghastly task " ....
Ever been on one of these shoots preach???.......I have......what are you basing your opinion on??

"to pass it off as hunting" ....
If a town was over run by rats and you proposed rat "hunts" you would be laughed out of the room. The deer NEED to be killed.........people WANT to hunt them.......a key difference that eludes you. I suggest you attend some meetings where this subject is discussed before you try to pretend anyone but hunters want these deer hunted. They want them dead.......period. In the fastest way possible that causes them the least amount of trouble.

"you are never gonna convince an intelligent adult that the deer that was staring at them yesterday on the 8th tee box needs to be "hunted". It just makes us look foolish.......and even worse it makes us look like the EXACT thing we do not want to be perceived as........guys who simply like to kill stuff."
100% true

"I don't want that as part of our reputation"
I don't.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Another reason, and a very significant one, for bow as opposed to gun to reduce urban deer populations is the fact that most people living in these areas do not wish any firearms being discharged within proximity due to the chance of errant bullets. NOBODY can 100% assure that this would never happen. As a suburban resident, bowhunter, rifle hunter, husband and father of 3 children, I would never condone the use of firearms within range of my home or anyone else's. The number of capable, experienced, ethical bowhunters I know are much greater than the number of gun hunters I know who I would feel comfortable with hunting in urban areas. Bowhunters, in general, possess a much better knowledge of hunting prey in close quarters and making clean, ethical kills. That's what they do. And yes, it does take some skill - even to take tame, pregnant does. Is it being flown in to a remote, uninhabited wilderness and spending weeks stalking game? Nobody said it was. But it is another form of hunting which provides a community service as well as an opportunity for some hunters to harvest some meat. One final question. If you lived in an urban area, would you feel more comfortable with a reckless/inexperienced bowhunter or a reckless/inexperienced gun hunter? Even if someone was to tell me gun hunters were certified, I would never assume it was all good and safe. Most of us have seen that movie before.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

Another reason, and a very significant one, for bow as opposed to gun to reduce urban deer populations is the fact that most people living in these areas do not wish any firearms being discharged within proximity due to the chance of errant bullets. NOBODY can 100% assure that this would never happen.
Does anyone know if this has ever happened? Has a sharpshooter ever wounded or killed a person during an organized urban deer cull?? I did a search and couldn't find anything but it would be an interesting read. Every instance I am aware of consists of the deer being baited to designated safe areas and shot from elevated locations.

If you lived in an urban area, would you feel more comfortable with a reckless/inexperienced bowhunter or a reckless/inexperienced gun hunter?
Neither..........I don't want to be around a reckless/inexperienced person with any weapon.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Presenting this as bowhunting makes it a blanket statement that affects us ALL.........apparently you are OK with some blanket statements but not others. Weird.
atlas, where did I say anything about what it was? C'mon now, maybe you've been her too long and have eaten to many of your feet

atlasman:
"tame pregant deer" ....
You do realize that many of the does will be pregnant right now right?
Do you realize most does you kill after the rut are pregnant also??? What does that have to do with anything?

"a ghastly task " ....
Ever been on one of these shoots preach???.......I have......what are you basing your opinion on??
Nope, but you labeling it a ghastly task is YOUR opinion ...

to pass it off as hunting" ....

If a town was over run by rats and you proposed rat "hunts" you would be laughed out of the room. The deer NEED to be killed.........people WANT to hunt them.......a key difference that eludes you. I suggest you attend some meetings where this subject is discussed before you try to pretend anyone but hunters want these deer hunted. They want them dead.......period. In the fastest way possible that causes them the least amount of trouble.
The whole thread is about a way to cull the deer herd ... if it can be done by extending seasons and bag limits ... let's do it. We have had sniper bullets hit houses here in WNY ..... kinda doesn't qualify for "least amount of trouble"

OH, and, as far as the rats ... not a good analogy ... nice try though!

you are never gonna convince an intelligent adult that the deer that was staring at them yesterday on the 8th tee box needs to be "hunted". It just makes us look foolish.......and even worse it makes us look like the EXACT thing we do not want to be perceived as........guys who simply like to kill stuff."

100% true
Your opinion .....ergo, not 100% true

I don't want that as part of our reputation"

I don't.
It's all relative atlas ..... "as part of our reputation" ... depends upon who you talk to as to what they think about our sport ... an extended season is not going to change it .....
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly the same thing but there was a very positive article in our local paper last week about bringing in a bow hunter to take out a wild pig that was causing a lot of damage at one of the local golf courses.

Just a few months ago, animal control was called to the LakeRidge neighborhood in Southwest Lubbock after residents called complaining of a wild hog strolling through the golf course.
When wild animals get that close to homes, the typical protocol is to tranquilize them, according to Laura Forsythe, field supervisor with Lubbock Animal Services.
But that's impossible with most feral pigs, she said. "The darts bounce off," Forsythe said. "Their hide is too thick."
Luckily, Forsythe found a bow hunter willing to come "remove" the boar.
Here's the complete article - http://lubbockonline.com/stories/022207/lif_022207029.shtml

Not exactly the same but it doesn't seem tomake the bow hunter out as a bad guy.

FWIW, Nathan
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM

atlas, where did I say anything about what it was?
Wasn't talking about you.........there are plenty of links in this thread to urban bowhunting "groups".

Do you realize most does you kill after the rut are pregnant also??? What does that have to do with anything?
You'll find out when you open them up

Nope, but you labeling it a ghastly task is YOUR opinion ...
Did I present it as someone else's??

The whole thread is about a way to cull the deer herd ... if it can be done by extending seasons and bag limits ... let's do it. We have had sniper bullets hit houses here in WNY ..... kinda doesn't qualify for "least amount of trouble"
Do you have links to the articles about the bullets hitting houses.......I would really like to read that..........because it NEVER gets mentioned when these matters are discussed at town meetings.

OH, and, as far as the rats ... not a good analogy ... nice try though!
Why not??.......because hunting rats would be silly right?? Thanks for proving my point

Your opinion .....ergo, not 100% true
Explain to me how you are gonna convince an intelligent adult that a deer standing there staring at them needs to be "hunted".

Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya know what atlas, you proved most peoples point when you did what you did .... you lost bubba

Quick Reply: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.