Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

This wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. It would ruin what hunting is to me.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt urban areas a lot! Once again ,if it's legal go for it,if you have an ethical problem with it,don't do it.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I hunt urban areas a lot! Once again ,if it's legal go for it,if you have an ethical problem with it,don't do it.
Yessir, and may I add ..... don't take sides with the anti hunters and complain ...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

"don't take sides with the anti hunters and complain ..."

Who's doing that? I agree, this job (necessary IMO) needs to remain faceless and nameless. It should not be associated with hunting (I'm not saying it "is" or "isn't" hunting) in any manner!It is sharp shooters "killing", at no cost,for the common good! Would I do it? Yes! But I would want to practice my skills where theycould notbe seen by the general public (maybe even in the cover of darkness. Or, when the gpwas on vacation). There is way too much to lose (remember,15% of us hunt,15%detest hunting,70% sit on the fence and watch).Things, if viewed by the general public, can goamuck quickly! Those 15% that detest hunting...how easy would it be for usto provide them with all the ammo they need to persaude our fence sitters? I would rather not do that!

We/I have this very thing going on in Colorado. Our state is dealing with the over population of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. I would love it if hunters were allowedthe benefit of hunting these elk, but I think they need to "close" the park to the general public before doing so. It would take a big "detour sign" for one week. I am sure we (hunters) could complete the task. I would rather not have little SallySuethere taking picture when I blow an elk's brains out. Just me-it means too much...!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of urban hunting goes on in the suburbs on unincorporated land,this is legal. My own situation is I hunt on my neighbors 5ac lot. There is a large empty weed field adjoining and the subdivision has a lot of wetlands interspersed. I'm sure this could and should be done discreetly. The county I live in does not allow any gunhunting for deer,too close to Chicago. As far as closing a park,this is done here during the turkey season. Public land is closed to visitors except hunters with their specific permits until 1pm,then turkey hunting is over and the general public is able to use the parks.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Dwaefking

Can we agree to disagree?
Sure.

I think it is a great way in increasing bowhunting opportunities hand in hand with urban game management solving,
This is where I believe it makes the sport looks foolish..........If you REALLY wanted to help and squash the population numbers quickly and efficiently you would be advising rifles. They have been proven time and again as the most efficient way to do the job. When you present an idea that is inferior in production and takes an exponentially longer period of time.......the only logical conclusion people draw is that it is something you WANT to do (add in the fact that guys are paying for the chance and it only reinforces that). Now mix into that equation that many people see these deer daily and the thought of them getting killed doesn't sit very well.........Do we really want or need the label of being the guys who WANT to kill the deer people see in their yards, at the park, and at the golf course?? If you want to help the cause and do your part then I have no problem with that. I simply believe that it needs to be done in a nameless, faceless manner..........when the term bowhunter starts getting attached it affects us all............There are much better ways to promote bowhunting.......the negative stigma here is something I really don't think we need.

you think it is bad because it shows bowhunters as shooters of deer...
No........we are shooters of deer......no secret there. The image this puts forth IMO is one of us trying to take advantage of a situation for OUR benefit under the mask of nobility that we are doing it for the herd or for others..........basically it is saying "Hey, you have a ton of deer that need to be killed anyways right??........why not let us do it because we like to kill deer (everybody wins)." It amounts to begging to be part of a slaughter.......a job that most would abhor and a label we don't need attached to our image IMO. I have seen people stand up in town meetings and say "I understand that the deer population is a problem and more then likely some need to be killed, what I can't understand is why you are so eager to be the ones that kill them" There is no way to answer that question and not look like a ghoul.

The job needs to be done and I have no problem with anyone that does it..........just don't advertise it to everyone as bowhunting.

I do not have access to the Wildlife Society Bulletin you noted
It's a 5 year study showing cost of bowhunters vs DEC agents and police shooters as being equal and outisde snipers being most expensive. Bowhunting was the least productive method of population reduction (snipers the highest).

but i do have the Wildlife Society Technical Review 99-1 1999 (The Role of Bowhunting in
Game Management) and a print copy of an article "Effects of archery hunting on movement and activity of female white-tailed deer in an urban landscape" from W.S. Bulletin 1999, 27 (2) pages 433 - 440.
I looked at both of those and could find no statistics of merit......maybe I missed them. Your second document speaks onlyof very short term gun hunting as far as I could tell.

I must also add that I come from a country in which we are not (yet) allowed to hunt with our bows other than at some privately fenced in areas.
That sucks.......hope that changes.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

"don't take sides with the anti hunters and complain ..."

Who's doing that? I agree, this job (necessary IMO) needs to remain faceless and nameless. It should not be associated with hunting (I'm not saying it "is" or "isn't" hunting) in any manner!It is sharp shooters "killing", at no cost,for the common good! Would I do it? Yes! But I would want to practice my skills where theycould notbe seen by the general public (maybe even in the cover of darkness. Or, when the gpwas on vacation). There is way too much to lose (remember,15% of us hunt,15%detest hunting,70% sit on the fence and watch).Things, if viewed by the general public, can goamuck quickly! Those 15% that detest hunting...how easy would it be for usto provide them with all the ammo they need to persaude our fence sitters? I would rather not do that!

We/I have this very thing going on in Colorado. Our state is dealing with the over population of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. I would love it if hunters were allowedthe benefit of hunting these elk, but I think they need to "close" the park to the general public before doing so. It would take a big "detour sign" for one week. I am sure we (hunters) could complete the task. I would rather not have little SallySuethere taking picture when I blow an elk's brains out. Just me-it means too much...!
Um .... William .... I was not refering to you ..... look at the past posts ...
Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

atlas .... you sound like you almost take the side of the anti's with some of the comments you make by setting yourself aside from the majority of us

What a rediculous statement...........you might want to hang around more then a month before putting your foot that far in your mouth

Everything I have said is based on concern for the image of bowhunting.

It's like the baiting, rifle vs shotgun, trapping, assault rifles ...etc, topics. There are a few that do not practice or use a certain method or way to legally take game, and they, with their "intellect"state what they believe , even though it might fuel the anti's arguements against a topic like this.
Shooting tame, pregnant deer in parks, neighborhoods, and golf courses and trying to pass it off as hunting is fuel for the anti's IMO..........not to mention that just one single bad shot that ends up in the paper or on the news destroys our reputation even further.

If you want to kill the deer then fine........I support you 100%.........just do it behind closed doors man. This is not something that should be advertised and presented to the public as bowhunting. There are reasons there are no windows on slaughterhouses.

I understand an opinion, but you have gone beyond that ...... I believe it may be because of the author....
You believe wrong.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I agree, this job (necessary IMO) needs to remain faceless and nameless. It should not be associated with hunting

Exactly.........they are two separate worlds.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

atlas .... you sound like you almost take the side of the anti's with some of the comments you make by setting yourself aside from the majority of us

What a rediculous statement...........you might want to hang around more then a month before putting your foot that far in your mouth

Everything I have said is based on concern for the image of bowhunting.

It's like the baiting, rifle vs shotgun, trapping, assault rifles ...etc, topics. There are a few that do not practice or use a certain method or way to legally take game, and they, with their "intellect"state what they believe , even though it might fuel the anti's arguements against a topic like this.
Shooting tame, pregnant deer in parks, neighborhoods, and golf courses and trying to pass it off as hunting is fuel for the anti's IMO..........not to mention that just one single bad shot that ends up in the paper or on the news destroys our reputation even further.

If you want to kill the deer then fine........I support you 100%.........just do it behind closed doors man. This is not something that should be advertised and presented to the public as bowhunting. There are reasons there are no windows on slaughterhouses.

I understand an opinion, but you have gone beyond that ...... I believe it may be because of the author....
You believe wrong.
Atlas, length of time here has nothing to do with it, and my statements were not "rediculous" (your spelling, not mine).... you don't support it 100% ... you talk from both sides of your mouth. Again my post was clear, and I believe, as do others via PMs .. right on the money....

atlas .... you sound like you almost take the side of the anti's with some of the comments you make by setting yourself aside from the majority of us ....

[blockquote]quote:

"tame pregant deer" ....
"a ghastly task " ....
"to pass it off as hunting" ....
"you are never gonna convince an intelligent adult that the deer that was staring at them yesterday on the 8th tee box needs to be "hunted". It just makes us look foolish.......and even worse it makes us look like the EXACT thing we do not want to be perceived as........guys who simply like to kill stuff."
"I don't want that as part of our reputation"
[/blockquote]

I understand an opinion, but you have gone beyond that ...... I believe it may be because of the author.....

Quick Reply: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.