Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

I think they use some of the money to cover the cost of processing the deer and giving the meat to charity
You don't get any meat?

Heck I've never enjoyed killing them, Charlie.....
Ok, now I'm confused you don't get meat and you oay to kill the deer ,if you don't enjoy killing them what do you get out of it?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

and another bickering contest has been started [:@]
did not! [8D]
did too!!
Did not infinity!!![:-]
Old 02-24-2007, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Dwaefking

Rifles with silencers????
Yes........if the goal is to kill as many deer as possible then a rifle your best option without question. That is just common sense.

Look, there is a reason why archery equipment is chosen as No. 1 method for controlling urban deer populations. a stray arrow shot from a treestand at ground is much much more unlikely to ricochete like a high powered rifle bullet can, thus minimizing the potential of danger to harm property, pets or human beings.
That is also why they give the job to trained shooters and choose the best/safest area to bait the deer to. It's not like they just turn a bunch of guys with guns loose in a neighborhood.

You should be aware that bowhunting as a urban wildlife management tool is a great opportunity to present to the public why there should even be archery hunting.

Janez
What you are failing to grasp is no one cares..........they just want the deer dead........and when you present THAT to the public as hunting you are doing nothing but embarrassing our sport. You have to remember that a lot of people don't know any better......they don't know what hunting really is. First impressions are very powerful and personally, I really don't want someone's first impression of hunting to be some guy sitting in the trees beyond the outfield at their son's little league game.........or perched in a tree off their dog walking/nature trail in the morning. If the day ever comes for that person to make a choice at the ballot about hunting and all they have to go on is the thought of someone killing the deer at their park or golf course.......Yikes.

It is what it is..........the deer are there and they need to be controlled. I personally have no desire to shoot tame pregnant does......and I believe that the public image would be to abhor any group that would not only volunteer for such a ghastly task but be willing to pay for it (like previously mentioned). That is why the job is better left to a nameless, faceless group. Begging to be part of a slaughter makes us look bad. JMHO
Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own! These hunters are doing a service within the law,if it seems unethical to someone,they should not participate.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have no problem with the hunts as long as they are well organized and trained. I have never participated in one nor had the opportunity. All of the hunts I have heard about have been approved by the local area they are in otherwise they can not do it. Because the local people agree that hunters paying to control the deer is better than their taxes paying for sharpshooters. The few that hollar are the same PETA or similar ones that always hollar and I could care less what they think.

Always a lot of generalizations on this board. I am sure people who always hunt urban areas approve more of this than guys who hunt way out in the boonies who have no idea of what they speek. I hunt a lot of suburbs and hardly are the deer tame!! In fact they are extremely dificult because of so many variables. I do not speek for all these places I am sure some are. In NY here it is illegal to bait or feed deer at all and you can not have any as a petso that helps. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Fletch NY

Because the local people agree that hunters paying to control the deer is better than their taxes paying for sharpshooters.
That is a fallacy.......on average the cost is about $25/deer (including processing). The cost is minimal and amounts to pennies per citizen. Money is not the issue.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Fletch NY

Because the local people agree that hunters paying to control the deer is better than their taxes paying for sharpshooters.
That is a fallacy.......on average the cost is about $25/deer (including processing). The cost is minimal and amounts to pennies per citizen. Money is not the issue.
Hey, the expenses are between 200 and 250 $ per deer shot by snypers. although I agree that probably the whole thing is not about money I am fond to urban bowhunting as a game management tool. Here are some links on the topic:

http://www.bowhuntersalliance.org/readarticle.php?article_id=26
http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/Anov01issue/urbandeercontrol.htm
http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/hunting/060930citydeer.shtml
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/archery-hunting.php
http://www.ci.burnsville.mn.us/government/Departments/natresbowhunting.htm
http://dpll.si/files/Audubon%20society%20-%20lov%20z%20lokom.pdf

Janez
Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Hey, the expenses are between 200 and 250 $ per deer shot by snypers. although I agree that probably the whole thing is not about money.
The last town meeting I attended with this on the agenda listed a 4 year average of just over $26/deer.......all through shooter programs. Cost is not the issue unless someone is willing to pay to do it (i.e. the town can actually profit).

I am fond to urban bowhunting as a game management tool.
I think shooting tame pregnant deer wandering through cul de sacs is a goolish task that I would prefer not to have attached to the image of bowhunting.

This study shows controlled "hunts" as being no more cost effective then sharpshooters and no where near as productive. The only difference was they charged the hunters.

Wildlife Society bulletin (Wildl. Soc. bull.) ISSN0091-7648

Do we REALLY want to be known as a group that is willing to pay for the chance to shoot and kill the deer people see around their yards, the park, and the golf course??

I can think of no worse publicity for our sport.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:05 AM

Can we agree to disagree? I am pro and you are contra. I think it is a great way in increasing bowhunting opportunities hand in hand with urban game management solving, you think it is bad because it shows bowhunters as shooters of deer...
I do not have access to the Wildlife Society Bulletin you noted, but i do have the Wildlife Society Technical Review 99-1 1999 (The Role of Bowhunting in
Game Management) and a print copy of an article "Effects of archery hunting on movement and activity of female white-tailed deer in an urban landscape" from W.S. Bulletin 1999, 27 (2) pages 433 - 440.

I must also add that I come from a country in which we are not (yet) allowed to hunt with our bows other than at some privately fenced in areas. I am a president of a Slovenian Bowhunters Organization and a graduated forestry engineer so I know s little something about game management but I collected the data that states 200-250$ per snyper shot deer, from the internet article. Urban bowhunting is one of our strongest arguments here why bowhunting should be legal.

Best Regards!

Janez

http://dpll.si/

Old 02-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can we agree to disagree? I am pro and you are contra. I think it is a great way in increasing bowhunting opportunities hand in hand with urban game management solving, you think it is bad because it shows bowhunters as shooters of deer...
I do not have access to the Wildlife Society Bulletin you noted, but i do have the Wildlife Society Technical Review 99-1 1999 (The Role of Bowhunting in
Game Management) and a print copy of an article "Effects of archery hunting on movement and activity of female white-tailed deer in an urban landscape" from W.S. Bulletin 1999, 27 (2) pages 433 - 440.

I must also add that I come from a country in which we are not (yet) allowed to hunt with our bows other than at some privately fenced in areas. I am a president of a Slovenian Bowhunters Organization and a graduated forestry engineer so I know s little something about game management but I collected the data that states 200-250$ per snyper shot deer, from the internet article. Urban bowhunting is one of our strongest arguments here why bowhunting should be legal.

Best Regards!

Janez

http://dpll.si/
Janez ... great posts! ....

atlas .... you sound like you almost take the side of the anti's with some of the comments you make by setting yourself aside from the majority of us ....

"tame pregant deer" ....
"a ghastly task " ....
"to pass it off as hunting" ....
"you are never gonna convince an intelligent adult that the deer that was staring at them yesterday on the 8th tee box needs to be "hunted". It just makes us look foolish.......and even worse it makes us look like the EXACT thing we do not want to be perceived as........guys who simply like to kill stuff."
"I don't want that as part of our reputation"
It's like the baiting, rifle vs shotgun, trapping, assault rifles ...etc, topics. There are a few that do not practice or use a certain method or way to legally take game, and they, with their "intellect"state what they believe , even though it might fuel the anti's arguements against a topic like this.

I understand an opinion, but you have gone beyond that ...... I believe it may be because of the author.....

Quick Reply: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.