Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

This is almost as bad as High Fence hunting IMO. If they havea deer population problem and are really concerned about it, thenwhy not let more peoplehunt during the regular season? It sounds like an excuse to start some sort of "hunt club". I would want NO part of it, like someone else mentioned about doe's carrying fawns,I agree with that statement. To the author of this thread, do yourself a favor and find a hobby to occupy your time during the off season other than this sort of crap.It's people like you that give our sport a BAD name and have petalicking there chops.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

This is almost as bad as High Fence hunting IMO. If they havea deer population problem and are really concerned about it, thenwhy not let more peoplehunt during the regular season? It sounds like an excuse to start some sort of "hunt club". I would want NO part of it, like someone else mentioned about doe's carrying fawns,I agree with that statement. To the author of this thread, do yourself a favor and find a hobby to occupy your time during the off season other than this sort of crap.It's people like you that give our sport a BAD name and have petalicking there chops.
solo ..... why would you attack the author of this thread just because you do not agree with it???

solo .... It's assinine comments like you have made that give hunters a bad name.

solo and atlas ..... You do what you want, but don't rip apart someone else who is hunting within the law ....
Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Slow down solocam, these areas are inside city limits and increasing hunters outside during the regular seasons has no affect on the urban deer population. Without some sort of control the vehicle collisions and other damage would only get worse than it already is.

The other options are sterilzation, way to expensive and doesnt work that well. Capture and relocate, again expensive and most of the deer die from stress. Sharpshooters, again expensive. The cheapest most functional resort is bowhunters. We do it for free just for an opportunity to hunt. Most if not all of the meat goes to food pantries and the cities arent out any money.

Yes it is a little different than normal bowhunting. Small plots to hunt, lots of human activity close by and the deer are funneled thru smaller places. but these deer are not stupid they have adapted to the human activity in a persons yard but step onto that common ground patch of woods and they wont tolerate any more than a public ground deer. They still use their noses, ears, and keen eyesight to keep them alive.

Get the facts straight before you start bashing.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

It's a job that needs to be done but it should be done by a nameless, faceless group that has no dog in the fight. People who don't want these deer shot will be even more angry if they find out they are being shot by hunters.........I don't want that as part of our reputation.......and god forbid word or pictures get out about a bad shot. It's just not worth it. One deer running around town with an arrow sticking out of it can be disasterous.

JMHO
Atlas,almost allof the people in these areas do not different between hired sharpshooters and hunters. To them there one in the same.

If given the chance I would much rather do it myself knowing that I am capable of a quick clean kill and I can also reason and talk to the landowner as a human being. In the places I hunt like thisthe people love to tell you all about the deer and wantyou to shoot as many as possible. They just dont want to see them after I kill them. Fine by me, I make sure idrag them out after dark, leave nothing behind, and cover them up in the back of the truck
Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

and another bickering contest has been started [:@]
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

solo and atlas ..... You do what you want, but don't rip apart someone else who is hunting within the law ....
Read the thread preach.....I said nothing personal.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

and another bickering contest has been started [:@]
did not! [8D]
Old 02-23-2007, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

Atlas,almost allof the people in these areas do not different between hired sharpshooters and hunters. To them there one in the same.
That is very wrong in my experience. Most people that are against hired shoots on tame deer are either against hunting already or just animal lovers who are not necessarily anti hunting but they don't want it in their backyard or on their golf courses......they are OK with hunting in the woods.......not in the park.

The only thing people hate worse then not getting their way...........isbelieving someone else did at their expense. Politics is the perfect example.....people are upset more not by losing......but by the thought of the people they dislike winning.

If given the chance I would much rather do it myself knowing that I am capable of a quick clean kill
A rifle with a silencer beats a bow any day........that's just reality.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

There is a group of hunters like this in the St. Louis area. I thinkl they are called The St.Louis Bowhunters. It costs $300 to become a member and then they set you up with landowners who they have signed up. Some of these guys kill 60-70 deer a year. They donate a lot of the meat to the share the harvest program.

I know they are providing a needed service to many areas, but I don't think I would enjoy that as much as regular hunting. I hunt in an urban area around my house, but I don't have a deer parade go by me every day.

Nothing wrong with it , just not for me.
If it is NEEDED so BADLY why does it cost $300 to become a member?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Why in the world would we argue over this? Passion and preference is what makes us unique.But we have so many enemies, we can't be divided over this. See this as a necessary evil, see it as practice, see it as food for the hungry, see it as anything but an argument. I think everyone should do it to see it for what it is...work. It definately takes the glory out of what we do; BUT it has to be done. I have had to pull the antlers or body of a deer out of the chest or face of three people and one that still gives me nightmares.It went into the backseat and clawed a toddler strapped into a carseat to death while trying to get out. You may condemn one of us who chooses to do it. But, I say sleep well tonight, for you may have saved my family today. We are all members of the same brotherhood and I respect you all.

Quick Reply: REAL bowhunting business (extend your season)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.