Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crazy stand placement. Would you?

Old 12-08-2002, 01:13 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Crazy stand placement. Would you?

Have been hunting the land behind my house (we recently moved in) this year, and about a half mile back, I took a doe 3rd day of the season. Ive seen lots of sign, and have always figured the large thicket right by the driveway was a major bedding area for the dear. I've glimpsed a few bucks, and many doe in the area of my driveway, and right behind the house. we got our first snow this week. I went out that morning and noticed that every track I saw was heading to or away from the thicket. I also noticed a lot larger tracks and much more poop that first morning than I would have expected. SO.....I put a stand up Saturday, and sat their last night. I am close enough to the house, to see the wife and kids moving around in the kitchen. I can see the neighbor's driveway, and I am only about 30 yards from the edge of our backyard. I feel that this is the best place to set up to take one of these bucks, but it almost feels like cheating. What would you guys do?

David
Old 12-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crazy stand placement. Would you?

At the end of the year when I have a few under my belt I get silly with stand placement. I do things like get in a ditch in the middle of a field, hide on or around old equipment, ...if it's goofy.. try it. The deer have been pressured and changed their patterns a lot. They'll bed and hide where they feel the safest. Your wife and kids don't threaten them at all. Last night I had this monster 9 pointer come into my yard to munch on some birdseed and apples I threw out for the occasional deer(every night) in my yard. I've taken walks into the woods they come from and they're down right spooky there. Last night I had the grill going. I turned on the lights, walked out, opened the grill, turned the steaks and he just looked at me from about 18 yards. He finally walked away...but long after he could have been dead.

Old 12-08-2002, 07:16 PM

hunt is about finding the deer, not walking 10miles to the deer, go for it, now if you shot one from the garage then i might have issues, but hey sometimes you get lucky

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-09-2002, 03:48 AM

The wood's behind my house but right up to our barn matter of fact a big pine is right against the back of the barn the wood's is thickest there and the deer love it alway's bedded in there but my one boy put a stand up in the pine about 3 years ago but now we hunt right out of the barn loft there is a small opening that was used for lowering down hay years ago we dont hunt there all the time but it work's
Old 12-09-2002, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my best stands is 60 yards from one house, and 100 yards from another. I can see both when the leaves are off the trees. I hunt where the deer are, not where I want them to be. I have found though that the deer are most active only at early morning and late evening, except on really cold or rainy days when we humans are tucked away in our houses.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-09-2002, 04:20 AM

Dpv,
The biggest buck I've shot was from the back porch of my house. If it's legal I guess it's not cheating, but if you don't feel right about it don't do it.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

dpv count your self lucky!!! My wife considers any deer that walks next to our house or through the back yard her's and off limits!!! She said I could kill all the deer I wanted except her's! My first bowkill was only 400 yards from the neighborhood I live in. I could hear kids playing in the neighborhood almost everytime I hunted that stand.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-09-2002, 08:25 AM

I hunt my backyard all the time! Heck! My permanant treestand is only 100 yards from my back door. The other day, my wife let the dogs out the back door and spooked 7 does who where in the back yard eating the hay bales I was using as a stop for my bow target! Read my post 'STEPSON GOT ONE' It's not cheating. It's the benefit of being a landowner. It's the reason I bought this farm. We don't farm. I converted all the crop fields into CRP fields. Now all we have is pastures and cedar thickets. Oh yeah, and a 4 acre farm pond in the front yard. And all the landowners around me have the cropfields. Deer go eat there and come back here to bed. I say, as long as there is no danger of injuring somone with a wayward shot (richocet off of a branch or something) then enjoy your right as a landowner. And take plenty of pics 'cause we want to see! LOL Good Luck and keep us posted.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.

Edited by - budbowhunter on 12/09/2002 10:50:42
Old 12-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Do it! - You've already found the signs in the snow. If it's safe and legal, why not.

Shoot often - Hunt always

Quick Reply: Crazy stand placement. Would you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.