Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your greatest accomplishment.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Your greatest accomplishment.

What has been your greatest archery accomplishment? For me, I would say I hit a milestone when I finally got a fixed blade head to fly. I spent YEARS trying to accomplish that, and when that first one flew true, I nearly....well...had the big one.

What was your milestone?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Your greatest accomplishment.

I think my biggest accomplishment so far has been gaining my father's confidence when it comes to archery.

More often than not he comes to me for advice on equipment, tuning, etc.

He started me out several years ago and it seems I've finally proven that I've becomefairly knowledgable.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Proveing to everyone in our hunting party that you can harvest mature bucks during rifle season with a bow!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Teaching my oldest son who is now 15 how to bowhunt. When he was 12 i bought him a pse spyder s4 youth bow. I did not like the idea of him with fixed blades yet so i got him some mechanicals, big mistake!! he was shooting 40# and i watched him shoot a 1 1/2 old 8 point in the sweet spot. needless to say it only went in 3" and poped back out, i was sick and knew it was my fault for getting him mechanicals with low weight bow. now the good part, He is shooting a 60# parker with fixed blade muzzys and has two kills with archery under his belt, a spike last year and a doe this year,both clean pass thrus and they expired real fast. I was on top of the world and proud of his accomplishments.(thats my boy)and i bout had the bigun to
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hitting "The Block" at 60 yrds!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It all started in the wood lot behind our house with bb guns and sling shots. One day I got a Stevens single shot 12 gauge as a young man. I also had a couple bows off and on over my adolescentyears.

My first hunting bow was a Horton Legend crossbow...... That's right a crossbow.......I wanted to deer hunt and knew NOTHING about deer or bows so a crossbow made sense to me at the time. I hunted with it for a couple years never shooting anything but a couple coyotes with it. I decided I wanted to take up hunting with a compound bow but was ridiculed by my brother about how "stupid" that is and that I would regret it. I went down to gander Mtn that day and bought a bow I knew nothing at all about.

I worked my tail off learning how to shoot a compound bow that summer and it has paid me back with countless hours of excitement and entertainment over the years.

I am a self taught hunter and archer. No one in my familyor any friends hunted.My brother and Itook up hunting at the same time. I never had anyone to show me along or help me with strategies or onequipment decisions. I believe this is what has made me what ever I am today.... All my lessonswere the hard nock hunting lessons variety. You know what they say about learning from your own mistakes and I made PLENTY of them.

So to make a long story short I would say my "greatest accomplishment" was never giving up.
[/align]
Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Becoming efficient enough to do pretty much any work on my bow myself. I get most of my satisfaction out of setting up and tuning my bow to whoop MOtightytite on the 3d range.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

i feel very fortunete and think my whole first season with a bow was a complete success. and i owe most of it to this forum.

to start off i was smart and made pretty good buying decisions.

then within 50 shots or so i had my first robin hood at 15 yards(not a huge deal to some...but for never shooting a bow before and being self taught..thats a trophy right there)

then teaching myself to shoot at 20 then 25..25 took alot of work. ALOT of work. thats where everything seemed to become magnified. i could slam shafts at 15..then got good at 20 with a little work..but 25 was tough to master. i never thought id see 35. i bought my bow in july i think. by mid august i was slamming shafts at 35yds.

then i decided to screw on broadheads. without you guys i wouldnt have gotten to bow hunt this year lol. found out my arrows were spined wrong and i needed to trimm 2 inches off. had that done and JUST had clearance with my rest. still flying poorly. adjusted the nock and now i can shoot anything from my bow and it all hits the same spots.

ive since sliced off countless blazers with my broadheads..and ruined i think 3 more shafts by hitting them with broadheads at 35yds.

in terms of hunting...it was success to me to go out on my own with a bow for the first time ever and see deer period. i didnt do great...i think i only seen 5 bucks and 8 does or something like that. but i made ALOT and i mean ALOT of rookie mistakes. i thought scent control was phooey and just hunt the wind like i always did..then i learned 25 foot in a tree the wind can be crazy..learned that i over hunt my stands. learned that i didnt have enough stands because i didnt think id get to hunt half as much as i did. just tons of things.

and getting a shot at a 2.5yo buck in PA with a bow my first year ever bow hunting is a major accomplishment. non bow hunters wont understand that i made a perfect shot and the deer ducked my arrow..but thats what happened. he lived..sadly i never got another shot and noone in my group got him either..but i know he lived..

and the greatest thing i accomplished was learning from my mistakes and not being set in my ways. you cant learn unless you learn from your mistakes..i learned alot and accomplished alot this first season. i think it was a total success and a major accomplishment. i know guys that bowhunted for years and havent even seen a 2.5yr old buck let alone got to release an arrow on him..and know guys that been bowhunting for a long time that i will shoot circles around..id say i accomplished alot
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up to this point, I would have to say that my greatest accomplishment is going 3 for 3 on bucksmy first 3 yearsbowhunting. My largest being the last of the bunch which was a 100 class 8 pt. To say I was ecstatic about this buck would be an understatement, especially considering neither my father or I had seen this buck prior to shooting it. However, I would also have to say this past season, even though I didnt fill my tags, was my best season to date. Thanks mostly to this site, I took my scouting and hunting abilities to a new level. I passed a nice 6 pt half way through the season, and had 2 more confrontations with him, but I was glad to see him make it(my own little QDM). My next set of goals is to learn how to tune a bow, and wrap/fletch my own arrows. Hopefully while away at colloge I hope to work part-time at a pro-shop, andraise my archery skills to another level.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I haven't bow hunted yet, my accomplishments are few, but my best yet was about five hours ago. I managed a 5 arrow group of 6" at 60 yards. That probably isn't good for target shooters, but I'm happy. Only been shooting for a month so far.

Quick Reply: Your greatest accomplishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.