Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your greatest accomplishment.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your greatest accomplishment.

I have a few that come to mind.

Archery, going from total target panic to winning a state championship, finishing in the top 5 in the IBO NW triple crown.

Hunting wise, getting put on as a field editor for a Northwest hunting magazine and being shown in Eastmans Hunting Journal, and also Western Hunting magazines. It looks real cool to see your name in the credits and open up to your picture and/or article. I have been able to make HUGE connections in the industry.

I have a couple of bigger projects in the works right now. Maybe someday I can quit my day job......
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 PM

my greatest accomplishments is overcomming having to grow up witha PETA stepfather hating me for being blood thursty.. And then growing up not having anyone to teach me much about hunting...Then after shooting many deer with a bow i would say thats my greatest accomplishment is just surpassing people not believing just how much deer hunting means to me
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gamehunter1269

my greatest accomplishments is overcomming having to grow up witha PETA stepfather hating me for being blood thursty
Priceless!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too started out as a self taught bowhunter. I grew up with a father who only hunted duck and pheasant on an off and on setting. When I took up bowhunting 12 years ago, I never thought it would have the impact it did on myself.

During those years I suffered through failures and then many successes. Eventually as I became better so did what I would call a "shooter deer". For me it is a mature deer.. I simply graduated to that level. And graduating from any deer to mature deer was something I was not quite ready for at first. It took a couple years and some mighty steep mishaps.

My greatest accomplishment was the Illinois 2005 archery season and all it's NIGHTMARES. It was undoubtedly my worst season ever. Hunting mature bucks in a year of WAY above average temps. and on high pressured grounds. I must admit.. I just didn't adapt well. While spending near 300 hours up in a tree I also managed to mess up on 2 P&Y bucks. In 2005 I even went over 50 hours in a tree once without a single deer sighting. It was enough to make any hunter sick. It was humility that I was taught..!!

In 2006 I went through my greatest season, when I could have just given up. Throughout the 2006 October I passed on over 12 bucks including a decent 2 1/2 yr. old 9 pointer. I held out.. despite my "need" to recover the previous seasons lost confidence in my own ability.

Then in November.. I proved myself wrong and killed 2 great bucks.. both mature.

Without a doubt.. 2005 was my greatest accomplishment. I survived myself, if that makes any sense to you all.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

My next accomplishment is always mygreatest accomplishment.

For me, hunting isn't as much about memories or just bringing home the meat, it's about getting out there and doing it. Sure, I've got boxes and bins of racks and turkey beards, animals on the wall, photo albums, scrapbooks, etc., and it's fun to go down memory lane every once in a while, reliving every breath, every shot, every recovery, every moment. But that's all in the rear-view mirror to me. I'm more of a forward thinker. I'll have the rest of my life to reflect.

I've always been the guy who everybody doubted. Since I was a kid - Ilived to be outside - graduated from BB guns to .22's and squirrel hunting with Gramps. I'd always wanted to bowhunt, but nobody would take me, so, I got a hand-me-down recurve from a friend, and finally saved up enough grass-cutting money for a compound. Still, nobody would take me - said it was a silly waste of time, and that I wouldn't get anything anyway.So I strapped the loggy to my back and either biked or hoofed it - shoeleather express - to the nearest deer woods. Lots of the other guys' dads were big hunters, with their own land and new bows, and I made it my mission every year to out-hunt 'em all. And I did it. I didn't care if it took sitting in that treestand before and after school every day for a month, or playing hookey for the whole rut, I was gonna do it - and I did. So, while those guys were toying around on their farms, traveling to other states to hunt,I was quietyperched on a hillside overlooking a garbage dump, and it was heaven-on-earth.

I've always been a horse of a different color, so I always stuck out among the local pro-shop crowd. I show up to get my bow tuned, or sign up for the buck/turkey pool, and they look at me and see some numbnuts in flip-flops and a surfing t-shirt driving a sportscar, and I hear the sarcastic comments, I notice the looks, see the sneers, but those moments are what drive me. The guys that run the places, though, they know me - well - they've seen that fish before. They know that I'll be in with my gobbler, and that my name will be near the top of the score sheet by season's end. They know that, just like the past 13 years,I'll be in to check in my buck at some point...and I'll hunt my a$$ off to do it if I have to, but I'll get there.

I don't know what it is, maybe it's the competitive nature inside me, but I live for the competition, the chance to prove somebody wrong. I live for the days when I go to the bowshop and some big talker inside with his '07 bow and shiny toxonics sights takes one look at me in my flip-flops and designershorts and just blows me off as somecity-slicker fool who couldn't find his way out of a hayfield, only so I can tromp in there some musty night in October with blood-stained fingernails and prove 'em wrong, just like every other year.

I live for those moments, I really do.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my biggest accomplishment has been surviving five near death or preceived near death encounters while bow hunting, The most recent was having a nine foot black mamba coiled up a mere 12inches fromeither of mylegs. I had just missed a 15 yard shot on a gembok while spot and stalk hunting. My focus was on the fast approaching bull. I never saw the snake and I straddled it when I came to full draw. I was hunting solo-alone with a radio. God only knows how much time I would have had. I'm lucky to be alive!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

One of my greateraccomplishments was picking up a bow and learning to hunt with it to see what bowhunting was all about.Life leads us down many roads as I also came from non-hunting parents. Both did support my choice. While none of my brother or sisters took tohunting, I am glad I went down that road!! I have a lot of great memories over the years from bowhunting. There are just toomany aspects to bowhunting to me... the stages you go through, the experience gained through the yearsand the experiences to pick it apart in terms of accomplishment. It's the whole package to me!!

The greatest accomplishment thoughwas being able to pass it on to my son and soon tomy daughter so they can grow as hunters andmake great memories bowhunting.

Tim
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about anyone else..but these are some great posts... very cool, inspiring, etc...keep them coming..
Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Site Buck Guru

My greatest archery accomplishment was driving my son and I to Tulsa Ok from Wi, to shoot in the Indoor Nationals and both of us taking 3rd place. Being able to shoot well after a 2 day drive and concentrate on my shooting while he was shooting at the same time was kind of tough. He wasn't old enough to drive so it was all me, in an ******!It was a pretty cool father/son endeavor.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

What has been your greatest archery accomplishment? For me, I would say I hit a milestone when I finally got a fixed blade head to fly. I spent YEARS trying to accomplish that, and when that first one flew true, I nearly....well...had the big one.

What was your milestone?
mine was smoking my buck this year at 62 yds.

Quick Reply: Your greatest accomplishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.