Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ohio proposes rules to thin herd

Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Spike

Default ohio proposes rules to thin herd

article in this mornings paper: State wildlife officals suggested hunters could kill three additional does to thin the population. The ohio division of wildlife proposed tuesday night to issue a permit that would allow archers to kill as many as three additional does during the early part of the 07-08 bow season. The ohio wildlife council will vote on the proposed regulations in april after seeking public comment. what do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ohio proposes rules to thin herd

ORIGINAL: WILKESFASTJAY

article in this mornings paper: State wildlife officals suggested hunters could kill three additional does to thin the population. The ohio division of wildlife proposed tuesday night to issue a permit that would allow archers to kill as many as three additional does during the early part of the 07-08 bow season. The ohio wildlife council will vote on the proposed regulations in april after seeking public comment. what do you guys think?
Been wanting more for some time. However, Ohio's herd needs no thinning. I wonder why no bucks.

Taking doe's will thin an area very quickly. I'd settle for one more either sex tag. Did they say doe's or antlerless?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not for it. You can already shoot multiple doe.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I hope it works better than Indiana's program, the county I live in allows up to 8 bonus antlerless and there's just not enough people trying to do that. Too much focus on getting a buck to think about helping out the department that makes that possible by assisting them with their management program. It works well on paper though...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 AM

What it'll do is wipe out the populations on public land. Until landowners actually allow people to hunt on their property, they will still have a deer problem. My take: bad idea.[:'(]
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Copy and pasted from the DNR web site...

2007-2008 DEER HUNTING REGULATIONS PROPOSED
Additional antlerless deer permits available to archery hunters
Ohio archery deer hunters may have the opportunity to take additional doe deer this fall if a proposed regulation is accepted by the Ohio Wildlife Council.
Link to printable PDF summary of all proposed deer seasons and regulations.
Under the proposal, hunters could buy additional anterless deer permits, currently known as urban deer permits, at reduced prices for hunting in an urban zone, participating in a controlled hunt, or hunting during the September 29 to November 25 portion of the archery season. The anterless deer permit would cost $15 and be good for doe deer only.
Archery hunters would be required to purchase a regular deer permit before purchasing the anterless deer permits. Using the proposed permit system, hunters could take up to one additional antlerless deer in Zone A, up to two additional antlerless deer in Zone B and up to three additional antlerless deer in Zone C. Use of the anterless deer permit during the first part of the archery season would not count against the hunter’s zone bag limit (link to Zone Map).
Archery season would run from Saturday, September 29 through Sunday, February 3, 2008. The popular youth deer-gun season is proposed for Saturday and Sunday, November 17-18. Regular deer-gun season will run Monday, November 26 through Sunday, December 2. An additional deer-gun hunting weekend is proposed for Saturday and Sunday, December 15-16. Statewide muzzleloader season will run Thursday, December 27 through Sunday, December 30. Special area muzzleloader hunts would be open Monday, October 22 through Saturday, October 27 at Salt Fork, Shawnee and Wildcat Hollow. Muzzleloader hunts at these areas are by special permit only, with a random drawing held prior to the season for a limited number of antlered bucks and unlimited number of antlerless or doe permits.
The proposed regulations maintain the same deer zones as the last two years. A three-deer limit (Zone C) would cover 38 central, south, southeastern and southwestern counties. The 30 counties of Zone B would have a two-deer limit, and the 20 northwestern counties of Zone A would have a one-deer limit. A hunter may take only one buck in Ohio, regardless of zone, hunting method or season.
During the youth deer-gun season, young hunters would be permitted to bag only one deer of either sex in any county of Ohio. Any deer taken would be part of the young hunter’s total season limit.
During the 2006-2007 season, which concluded February 4, hunters bagged a record of more than 235,000 deer. Approximately 475,000 people hunted white-tailed deer in Ohio this year.
Open houses are scheduled for noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 4 in each of the state’s five wildlife district offices. These forums will provide the public with an opportunity to view and discuss proposed hunting and trapping regulations with state wildlife officials. Directions to the meetings can be obtained online or by calling 1-800-WILDLIFE.
A statewide hearing on the proposed deer-hunting rules is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Thursday, March 8, at the District One Wildlife Office, located at 1500 Dublin Road in Columbus. After considering public input, the Ohio Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules and season dates during its April 4 meeting.
Proposed bag limits and Deer Hunting Zones FOR THE 2007-08 SEASON:

[align=center]2007/08 Deer Hunting Zones (Click to Enlarge) [/align]
Zone A -- Hunters could take only one deer during the 2007-2008 seasons, which could be a deer of either sex. The zone includes 20 counties: Allen, Auglaize, Darke, Defiance, Erie, Fulton, Henry, Lucas, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Ottawa, Paulding, Preble, Putnam, Sandusky, Shelby, Van Wert, Williams, Wood.
Zone B -- Hunters could take no more than two deer during the 2007-2008 seasons, of which only one could be an antlered deer. The zone includes 30 counties: Ashland, Ashtabula, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Clinton, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Fayette, Geauga, Greene, Hancock, Hardin, Huron, Lake, Logan, Lorain, Madison, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Portage, Seneca, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Union, Warren, Wayne, Wyandot.
Zone C -- Hunters could take no more than three deer during the 2007-2008 seasons, of which only one could be an antlered deer. The zone includes 38 counties: Adams, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Gallia, Guernsey, Hamilton, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Knox, Lawrence, Licking, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pickaway, Pike, Richland, Ross, Scioto, Tuscarawas, Vinton, Washington.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Asked a guy yesterday if he'd heard anything about an increase in the bag limit. Usually do around this time and it often is adopted. Was hopping my county would make it to zone b, it didn't, but with the addition of another tag it has. 6 deer in Ohio anywhere is better than 3/with 3 urban tags. The urban zones I've been in are not much good.

Antlerless includes bucks with less than 3" of horn. I'd take some of those before doe's.You do the math on how many deer 3 doe's/w off spring can produce in 3 years.

Typical State of Ohio verbage. Is it doe's or antlerless?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Spike

I know here in col county the herd doesnt need thinned anymore. two anterless and one buck i feel is plenty!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

NC will likely adopt a new game law that will allow hunters on private land to get additional antlerless tags (no charge) to aid in thinning the herd. It's needed, here. If this passes....I (and other private land hunters)can shoot an unlimited number of does.

While this sounds peculiar/scary to some.....keep in ind that the number of people filling their tags, NOW, is low. This will likely only affect a VERY small number of hunters.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not think an additional 3 tags is needed. But if they do pass it I don't think it will make that big of a difference anyhow as it does not go into the firearms seasons.

You guys need to remember, if the state says the herd needs thinned, you need to do your part before drastic measures are taken. They have sharp shooters every year up around Cleveland. I for one think that's BS!
[/align]

Quick Reply: ohio proposes rules to thin herd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.