Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ohio proposes rules to thin herd

Old 02-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ohio proposes rules to thin herd

i think in some areas this would be good. but 6 deer per hunter come on be realilistic here there are not going to be hunters taking 6 deer no one can eat that much deer( well maybe there arebut not normal people) i can't and i won't shoot 3 extra does maybe 1 extra. i checked into donating the meat but they want you to have it processed well i can't sh$t out all that money to have 3 deer processed. its maybe a good idea but over all its not going to thin the herd down an extra 300,000 , most archery hunters love widlife and don't go hunting to kill everything that walks by.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 AM

They don't expect you to kill 6 more deer. Hunter success rates may only be 1 deer per 4 tags , or 2 deer per 5 tags, etc. They may issue 200,000 more tags and see a 30% harvest rate.
And you sure don't have to kill 6 if you don't want to. I carry 4 tags (3 doe/1buck)here in PA. between DMAP tagsand regular buck and doe and only take 2.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

All you folks that have to many deer I have a good idea! Crate them up and send some up here as we have an opposite problem. We need more deer but, last winter was mild and started to get them rebounding again. If this winter doesn't get to much more snow or ice storms it should help us some more. At least we all hope so up here.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like the idea at all. Where I hunt there is certainly not an overpopulation of deer to the point that it is hurting the environment or making a significant impact on the farming output. I just see this as detrimental to the herd, not positive. Like someone mentioned... can you imagine the public land areas? There will be no deer left.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:24 PM
dws

I honestly don't think this is a deer population issue for the state. I think the only reasoning behind it is the $15 per each tag. That would be at least 3 million more for them to spend unwisely.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Host of Hosts

Uh Oh! Looks like your gonna follow in Pa's footsteps