Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spikes.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spikes.

I have taken a couple spikes over the years, until I get in to a spot where I might see more than 10 deer a year. I hunt close to town and you really have to put in your time to get a shot. To date, I have never taken a fawn though.
I started hunting a spot late in the season last yearthat looks like it may hold more promise. I passed on a couple 4 pointers and a small doe and seen a couple nice ones!
crutch
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't make a habit of killing spikes Cornfed, but I have killed plenty of-em in my lifetime, as well as many shooters. My first buck was a spike, and who knows maybe my sons first deer will be spike. It depends on what opportunity presents itself. We all love trophybucks, but I don't want my son to lose thought of the real meaning of hunting. I don't know if you noticed where I reside, but it's in South Jersey, overpopulated and overpressured woods. Things are a little different out here. I've been bowhunting in Illinois before, in fact I'm going back for the 2nd time in Nov. It is truely night and day compared to Jersey. The first day I passed up 2-125" eight points, and really nice 10 point later on in the week, but it still wasn't quite the shooter I was looking for.Needless to say I went home without a buck, but I'm going back for redemtion. I've seen what's there.....So I can definately see where your coming from. You guys have it made in Illinois. Have a little compassion for us North Easterners, we have to struggle a little.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Spikes all have one thing in common, they go down great with a nice gravy.
I agree with this post 110%...I give not two poops about whether a deer is a spike, a 5, or a 10. If I want meat in the freezer and that deer is standing in my shooing lane, he has the possibility of ending up DEAD. With that said, if I knew there was another bigger bucn in the area, I might hold off, but if the season gets near the end, I am killing that spike...
I hunt for meat and pleasure, not to build my ego and character by the size of my deers rack.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I believe I got it off an article on The Whitetail Institute of North America (whitetailinstitute.com). I got it awile ago and hung it up at our cabin to encourage everyone to let the little guys pass. On the side of the image it states "Antler Collection Courtesy of Steve Porter's Trophy Whitetails" -Lake Bronson, MN.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thats fine, its your preference. Some of us put alot of time in the woods, see alot of deer, and like to let the youngins grow up before we harvest them. (I hunt for horns, but I also to eat um too) This post was in reference to some people posting on culling spikes to benefit the herds trophy potential. If your meat hunter fine, then this post doesnt concern you.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Spike

I also agree with not shooting spikes. How will I ever get a chance at something nice if I shoot the spike or 4 or 6's? I let em go and if I need meet that what the does are for. The only thing that sucks here in Jersey is if you let it go it will walk another 300 yards and some other jackass will shoot it. Oh well!