Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody see Ted, last night??? QDMA type question.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anybody see Ted, last night??? QDMA type question.

He was hunting in Texas.....talking about taking does out of the herd. He said he was going to be meeting Dr. Kroll later in the evening, too. He asid he was going to discuss --------- taking out spikes that were over 1-1/2 yrs.....because...."once a spike - always a spike". (Yes....Ted said this)

Given the fact that Dr. Kroll JUST THIS YEAR published a study refuting this myth.....I would have LOVEDto have been a fly on the wall during this conversation . If anyone else was watching the show....do you know when it was filmed? I'm wondering how Ted feels about this, today.

Disclaimer: I like Ted. I am NOT flaming him. It's just funny how the old mindsets in deer hunting and management are being dispelled EVERY YR!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody see Ted, last night???

yet another Ted thread ..... [&o]
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

PT....It really has nothing to do with Ted, in general. I thought I made that clear enough. If someone flames him....I hope it gets deleted.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

ilike ted i think he is coming to st. louis soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

PT....It really has nothing to do with Ted, in general. I thought I made that clear enough. If someone flames him....I hope it gets deleted.
Me too ... it sure would be nice to talk the topic .....
Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coming from the UP of MI, the "once a spike" philosophy is DEEPLY entrenched in the thinking of people. I was very encouraged when I read Kroll's research on the spikes. I would love to drop those articles from airplanes all over the UP so everyone could read it. Apparently Ted doesn't real NAW magazine, but I would imagine that Kroll educated him on it.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Anybody see Ted, last night??? QDMA type question.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

He was hunting in Texas.....talking about taking does out of the herd. He said he was going to be meeting Dr. Kroll later in the evening, too. He asid he was going to discuss --------- taking out spikes that were over 1-1/2 yrs.....because...."once a spike - always a spike". (Yes....Ted said this)

Given the fact that Dr. Kroll JUST THIS YEAR published a study refuting this myth.....I would have LOVEDto have been a fly on the wall during this conversation . If anyone else was watching the show....do you know when it was filmed? I'm wondering how Ted feels about this, today.

Disclaimer: I like Ted. I am NOT flaming him. It's just funny how the old mindsets in deer hunting and management are being dispelled EVERY YR!
I watched this episode last night, and to be fair to Ted, I believe you're misquoting him. When talking about spikes, he said that they were more than likely genetically inferior, or words to that effect. I don't remember him saying "once a spike always a spike". From everything that I've heard and read, I'm inclined to agree that 1.5 year old spikes are more likely to be inferior over the long term than fork horns of the same age.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason for my post was.....Ted's comments were/arein DIRECT CONFLICT with Dr. Kroll's recent article in NAW.

Dr. Kroll professes that there's NO WAY to know if a spike is (I'll use different words) "genetically inferior" when it's 1-1/2 or even 2-1/2.

I'm not trying to put words into Ted's mouth. I promise.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, I'm with you. I've read Kroll's articles and his contention is that there really is no way to know what those spikes are going to be. The picture of the bucks in the most recent articles shows a tiny spike turning into a 3 1/2 year old 10 point.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Spike

I watched the show last night and I feel some facts mentioned above are wrong. Yes, Ted did mention that the buck was probablyinferior, but he also said that the spikes were possibly 2.5 year olds. This is why in the show he mentioned talking to Dr. Kroll on the topic. If a 2.5 year old is a spike I firmly believe that it is genetically inferior and should be taken out of the herd. Ted did not at all mention "once a spike always a spike." IDOAGREEthat one cannot tell a deer's genetics as a 1.5 year old, but if this same deer is a spike at 2.5 year old then it should be removed from the herd. So as far as the show goes, some facts need to be straightened out and Ted was doing the right thing.

Quick Reply: Anybody see Ted, last night??? QDMA type question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.