Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

No mader what I shake but this year i thought about how hard i worked and thought about all the practice and that seemed to work. Like other hunters said don't look at the horns see the deer almost as the target you shoot at.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Concentrate on making the shot, you will learn the control along with seeing more deer.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM

pRACTICE pRACTICE pRACTICE 3D SPOT TARGET PICTUR IT LIKE ITS GOING TO HAPPEN TAKE YOUR
SELF THEIR A THOUSAND TIMES BEFORE AND DURING YOUR HUNTS. BELIEVE ITS GOING TO HAPPEN
WHEN IT DOSE YOU WILL BE READY AND IT WILL HAPPEN WITH OUT A THOUGHT AFTER YOU WILL
SHAKE. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM

I have the same issues as many of the people here stated. If it is not an animal i am interested in taking i couldn't give 2 hoots. I doubt my pulse increases one beat/minute. However a deer or an elk i am going to take has my heart pounding so hard i am sure the animal can hear it. I am no newby and have taken lots of game and been close to many big deeryet i still get this every time, great feeling but sometimes its hard to shoot.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who hits "auto pilot" when the moment arises. All of the target shooting over the years has my mind and body conditioned and I don't even have to think about it. Luckily I have yet to wound or miss a deer. I do however get a good case of the shakes after the shot [8D][/align]
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't matter if it is a buck or a doe... once I decide to shoot it, I onlyfocus on getting it done. That keeps me calmwhen adeer pops up fast or calms me down when one is seen coming in from a distance. While I love that first bigrush of seeing the one I want to shoot,the feelingisquickly put on the back burner. Focus!! I am looking for the spot on the deer, the place for the deer to be and what position it is in to make a good shot.I stayfocused even after the shot. It keeps me thinking clearly after the shot since it isn't a done deal until I find it on the ground and can put my hands on it. Call it auto pilot, killer instinct or what ever... it works for me. Once I getmy hands on the deer, I usually run a replay in my mindof the wholeencounterand thenlet emotions run a muck.

Tim

Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally the second i see a deer, whether its a doe or a buck, my heart starts thumping. Once i can tell what it is, i calm down. If i know im going to pass on the animal, i am normally as calm as can be. Some times for practice, ill go through the motions, setting the pin on the animal and all that, but not too often. If its a buck that i am going to shoot, once i determine that im going to try to put him down, if i have time, i will look away for a couple of seconds or shut my eyes for a few seconds. I dont know why it helps me, but it calms me down. From that point on, i am normally as cool as the other side of the pillow, but the second i let that arrow go, i can hardly hold on to my bow and stand up. MAN WHAT A FEELING!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

good question, i have not figured it out yet. I have no trouble shooting does and dinks but i have flubbed shots (missed) on three different P&Y class deer simply because i rushed the shot on a walking buck and did not try and stop it. Breathing heavy, shaking like a leaf, i lost my head man for a few secsI got to get a grip on that. I guess it is the major infatuation with big antlers that is causing this syndrome[8D]
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM

If you are not shaking then you are not alive. Man I get shook up and I love it when I don't I'll probally quit huntin. But to calm down as much as I possibly can I try not to look at the antlers and saying a little pray doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to get buck fever to the point I would make a bad shot, but finally I got to where I'd ask myself "do you want to freak out and miss this buck, or calm down and concentrate?" I think realizing that I was lacking control helped me to do something about it.
Breath deep, concentrate, aim small miss small.

PS . . . .I just took up the bow so I'm unproven with it. I've hunted with a rifle for over 40 yrs tho. So as far as the bow goes anything I may say is just blah, blah, blah.

Quick Reply: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.