Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

For me the shakes come on when I know it is an animal I want to shoot.

If it is something I wouldn't consider killing I'm failry cool the whole time it's in range. As soon as my brain says" kill that one" on come the shakes & deep breathing.

I'm supprised more older men aren't found dead in deer stand due to the shakes. Maybe by the time old age sets inthey've got all the shakes out of their system.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Joey - I think you should be telling us how to keep from coming unraveled. I'm still waiting to connect on something really big, so I can't bring anything useful to this discussion. All I can tell ya, is - make sure your limbs clear the rails on your treestand seatbefore you pull the trigger, or you'll be one sick pup.

I get really nervous as the deer are coming in, but once I draw, everything slows down and the nerves are gone. I still do have a habit of rushing the shot though. I got burned a time or two trying to hold too long or drawing too early, so it's always in the back of my mind, and I tend to wanna take the first makeable shot, even when there's probably a better opportunity if I just hold for a few more seconds.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Site Buck Guru

Once I get in my stand and get my bow ready, I draw it back and check the peep and pins. When a buck shows up, I study it to see if I want to shoot it. If I don't want the buck, I calmly watch it go by. I remain still and hidden and don't make any unnecessary movement until after he's gone. I don't practice draw on deer. I used to, but not anymore, I don't want to take a chance of spooking it.

If the buck is one that I want to shoot, I immediately concentrate on where he's going and how I'll be able to stick an arrow where I want it. My focus is so narrow that I can't even see the horns. Don't look at the horns, keep your eyes on the target, the exact spot you want to hit. That way the horns won't distract you and you'll beable to get off a better, more relaxed shot. I have killed 2 bucks that have gouges in their racks from broadheads. Someone was looking at the horns instead of concentrating on a spot.

So much happens in such a short amount of time, it is unreal. It seems that time is in slow motion. While the deer is approaching I scan back and forth from the spot (target) to the lane where the opening for the shot will take place. During this time my bow is pointed at the bucks chest with my arm fully extended. I've had to hide behind my bow at times. I'm trying to find a place, before the buck gets in my lane, where I can draw my bow undetected. A lot of times this is when the bucks head goes behind a tree. These spots are planned out ahead of time before the buck shows up. That way I'll automatically know what to do when he does show up.

Pick a spot and focus on it. Do not look at the horns anymore. You'll get plenty of chance for that when he's on the ground. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

BTW, now days I get the shakes after the shot, not before. I credit this to the extreme focus on my spot. I think that this is a good approach to getting a calm well placed shot on your buck.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more upclose encounters/experiences you have with big/mature whitetails the better. Whether it be duringsummer scouting sessions, filming, huntingthem, seeing them consistentlyor finally killing them consistently.The more experience the better becauseitmakes them less of an oddity.

Passing up othergood buckshas conditioned me to relax when any buck walks by.Based on scouting I expect to see big bucks on a regular basis, they are not a surprise. Awesome sight yes, but not a surprise. Most of the deer I kill I know pretty well. I usually have a shed or two from them and have watched them for at least a year or two.

When I see a hawg whitetailthese days whilebowhuntingI immediately get very focused as Greg talked about. I pick a spot on his vitals and then focus on that spot while simoultaneouslyreadingwhere the deer is walking so I can decide where to take my opportunity.The only thing on my mind is killing that animal. I think a bomb could go off at this point and I wouldnt hear it. Making a kill shot is my only focus. I never see the antlers after the initial decision to kill him kicks in. I get excited after I findhim on the ground dead.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

experience. and tap your foot lightly to let out your energy i guess
Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Once I get in my stand and get my bow ready, I draw it back and check the peep and pins. When a buck shows up, I study it to see if I want to shoot it. If I don't want the buck, I calmly watch it go by. I remain still and hidden and don't make any unnecessary movement until after he's gone. I don't practice draw on deer. I used to, but not anymore, I don't want to take a chance of spooking it.

If the buck is one that I want to shoot, I immediately concentrate on where he's going and how I'll be able to stick an arrow where I want it. My focus is so narrow that I can't even see the horns. Don't look at the horns, keep your eyes on the target, the exact spot you want to hit. That way the horns won't distract you and you'll beable to get off a better, more relaxed shot. I have killed 2 bucks that have gouges in their racks from broadheads. Someone was looking at the horns instead of concentrating on a spot.

So much happens in such a short amount of time, it is unreal. It seems that time is in slow motion. While the deer is approaching I scan back and forth from the spot (target) to the lane where the opening for the shot will take place. During this time my bow is pointed at the bucks chest with my arm fully extended. I've had to hide behind my bow at times. I'm trying to find a place, before the buck gets in my lane, where I can draw my bow undetected. A lot of times this is when the bucks head goes behind a tree. These spots are planned out ahead of time before the buck shows up. That way I'll automatically know what to do when he does show up.

Pick a spot and focus on it. Do not look at the horns anymore. You'll get plenty of chance for that when he's on the ground. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

BTW, now days I get the shakes after the shot, not before. I credit this to the extreme focus on my spot. I think that this is a good approach to getting a calm well placed shot on your buck.

Good luck
There should be a book in the bible named "GregH buck hunting"
Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I allways shake like a dog craping peach stones
Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Joey are you looking for advice!?[:-]LOL

"Hey guys, I've been just a little shaky on the last couple booner bucks I've shot, and I'm really striving to be solid and cool as ice when the next 180" walks by me......"
(jk)

I (believe it or not) have been in the prescence of some big bucks in NE and IL although I don't have any of them to show for it........
What I do mentally is EXPECT to see a big deer (or any deer) and plan for their approach, and how I will execute the shot. (cause that's working.)

I think if you are surpised by the sight of a deer it jump starts that adrenaline and things can get a little foggy from that point. If you can keep that initial jolt down then things don't start going fast and slow at the same time.

When you identify an animal you want to take, I know it sounds cold but you have to no focus on turning those vitals into a target. Start focusing on a spot, think about where you will take the shot and make it happen.
I agree with Matt on this one, if you see the deer coming, you can prepare yourself and take a few deep breaths. Late season this year , I had a nice 6 surprise me out of now where and totally freaked out, missed the 30 yd shot low. Hoenestly, I love the feeling, I just like to have a little time to compose myself before shooting

Shane
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stay seated or I would shake out of the tree!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like Greg and Shed said, time in the woods and lots of encounters with deer in general will make the adrenlin rush subside. I can honestly say thatI am cool and calm when a shooter buck comes in. I think alot of that comes from Saturday night racing on short tracks. When I first started that let me tell you my foot would literally shake even though I had it shoved to the floor. The adrenlin rush is just the same as hunting. So you boys that want that feeling in the off season, start racing.

Quick Reply: Controlling the "Big Buck" Anxiety

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.