Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got a little problem, thought id ask u all's advice...

Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 AM

Default got a little problem, thought id ask u all's advice...

hey guys,
I have a ford ****** zx2 car. i got it becuase the inshurance is dirt cheap on it and it gets 30 mpg. its a good paid for car. and it is the only vehicle i have. the trunk is just barely big enough for my regular sized tree climer to fit in there. if i get a deer id have to make a trip to the house (about an hours journey) to get a truck (if available). so thats the dilema. I need more cargo space if im gona continue hunting. just a plain fact right there. so naturally i start thinkin truck. ive got the car so if im just driveing around id use it. if i want to go hunting/fishin/use the boat/atv id use my truck.
so i guess the question is, would you get a small ranger kind of truck or a full sized reg. cab ram 1500. I guess if i looked at the ram 1500 i could debate whether i needed a v8 or could get by with a v6. id usually be just going out side with this vehicle, hunting, fishing that sort of thing.
so what would you do?? get a little truck or get a full sized reg. cab truck.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:45 AM

Default RE: got a little problem, thought id ask u all's advice...

If you've got a place to store it when not in use I'd buy a little used Datsun pick-up if I were you. 2WD, cheap on gas, and will go just about anywhere. They're throw away trucks, but they'll last a long time. We had one for about 10 years before the motor finally kicked the bucket. Sold it for parts after that. They're great little rigs if all you're using them for is hunting and fishing.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Switchback,
What state you live in? Do you hunt in snow storms or need a 4x4? Also how big is the boat you will be pulling? ( this will depend on v6 vs v8 ). I have an 03 F150 Fx4 for hunting fishing, and weekend driving trips that I just made my last payment on yesterday!!!! It sounds like you could be fine with a used ranger. The difference in mpg in an 8 vs 6 is not that noticeable.

Jim
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Spike

whatever size you end up try to get it with a extended cab.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 AM

just a small lowes kind. not really rich here, plus i dont think it takes a 40k boat to catch a few bass on the weekend you know. so maybe 5k on the boat max. im acually looking at 10k max on the truck. what do you think would work better? a full sized truck v6 or a small truck w/v6?? they seem to be about the same price on kbb.com. decitions decitions...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

All my buddies have trucks.. and one of the guys has a newer (2004ish)ranger 4wd w/ the V6... and it gets worse gas milage than my other 2 buddies that have mid-late 90s w/ the 318 V8.

Personally I'd opt for a Toyota 4wd w/ the extra cab.. or Toyota 4 Runner. But that's my personal opinion. If you're going to tow a large boat.. then look at something a little bigger.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Keep in mind, and I say this even though I own one, the RAM 1500 V8 is wellknown as being the biggest or one of the biggest gas quzzlers out there. That's the magnum I'm talking about. Also, They come off the lot with a kick butt sounding exhaust but I really wish I had something quieter when pulling into the woodsat 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning trying to get set up.And, no I can't change it, it is the wifes truck, LOL. It looks like you really just have a good excuse to get a truck, lucky you, but if ins./gas/and amonthly payment is a concern just but a small hitch on the ****** and buyone of the hitch carriers thatcabelas or other folks sell. I know a gut with a jeep and that what he has onthe jeep. Just be careful securing the buck back there, and maybe cover it with a tarp so the Anti's don't have something to complain about. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could just buy a small utility trailer to pull behind the car if you don't want to spend the cash on a truck.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 AM

buckeye: do you know where to get one of those trailer hitches for a small car?? i know ive seen em on cars but never seen em in a store.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can get them from Uhaul or order them from about any auto parts store.

Quick Reply: got a little problem, thought id ask u all's advice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.