Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have U heard a shot?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Have U heard a shot?

Don't laugh at this I am seriously interested in knowing who else has heard an arrow from another hunter nearby crack an animal. I usually hear 1-2 shots during elk season as 3 of us are spread out a few hundred yards apart. On a calm eveing you can really hear that arrow smack even from several hundred yards away. Its funny when i call home to my dad from the stand tellin him i got one, he says "Ya i thought i heard a shot." 2 miles away lol. gotta know my pop and his humor. But i was interested as to you folks who hunt where there is alot of pressure and guys are staggered every so many hundred yards on public land. Do you hear alot of arrow impact?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Default RE: Have U heard a shot?

I've heard it twice. Once I was set up on some public ground and had a guy set up a ground blind in a group of trees in the middle of a clover field I was about 100 yds off of. I heard a thwack about 1/2 hr. before sunset and sure enough he got a doe.

The second time I was hunting about 200 yds from my friend and he shot a button in the shoulder and I could here the loud crack.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard my nephew shoot about 75 yards from me.He missed so I didn't hear the thump.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Yep, I heard my buddy smack a nice 8 point a few years back. That buck was 20 yards in front of me and never offered me a shot, after probablly half an hour of torturing me he finally walked away and headed towards my buddy. I waited and just kept listening as my buddy was only 80 yards away on the otherside of a crab apple thicket and sure enough I heard a smack and about half hour later my buddy was under my stand telling me the whole story, we backed out for a couple hours because he wasn't sure of the shot and when we returned we found that he double lunged the bruiser and it was piled up only 50 yards from where he shot it.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting......

When ROb was down here in NC hunting.....he asked me the same thing. I assume its a pretty interesting phenomenon......but NO...I haven't heard it.

I shot five last year.....and I don't remember a single one of those shots producing a sound. I just can't recall a sound........
Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes i got to hear my daughter shoot her first deer 5 years ago, It was a whole lot of emotions running through me. First i heard the bow then the whack and i about jumped out of my tree, She shot a great big doe that i got mounted for her first deer with a bow.. Walt
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard several shots over the years. All of them were from hunting partners who werehunting close by. Once, I heard a buddy of mine shoot four times. He got into a flock of turkey on the way to his stand. Needless to say he came back empty handed and empty quivered.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I once took my idiot brother in law out. He had a crossbow. Since he has never gotten a deer I set him up in doe alley. He was on the ground well hidden with hay-bales. I was in a tree stand 100 yards or so away. I could see the doe coming long before he did. They eased out in front of him, feeding at 15-20 yards. I'm thinking shoot..shoot already. I imagine about that point he opened his eyes and saw them and grabbed for his bow. They alertly trotted off towards the railroad tracks. As one of the yearlings paused for one final look I heard his x-bow go off and the tell tale rattle of a bolt striking a rail road bed. I walked over after a bit and he excitedly told me he got one. I said hmmm ok let's go look for the bolt, knowing he shot low. I found it, no blood, no hair, nothing. Of course I knew that, long before exiting my stand!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really can't say that I have , seems to me if you can hear somebody else shoot their bow , your ethertoo close or they have a very loud bow.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep my daughter was only 14 at the time and i hunted only about 50 yards from her but totally different trails so we would see different deer. Still one of my best memories!! Walt

Quick Reply: Have U heard a shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.