Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have U heard a shot?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Have U heard a shot?

Yes, I have but then again quite a few times I hunted with 2 others with in 60 yards of each other.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I stopped to think about it, it's actually happened quite a few times over the years to me.

The WORST one was one morning years ago still in the early season. I was scheduled for surgery later that week and it was going to be my last try for some time. I was set up in a good spot that I decided on while walking in instead of going to where I had planned to go. A little after daylight, I saw two real bruisers walk right past the tree I WAS going to use at 9 yards! [:@] They were on a trail however that came right past the tree I was in. While I watched these two monsters take their time, I could have attempted a shot @ 35 yards, but decided to wait on a high percentage shot that looked like it was about to materialize in a couple more steps. It was at that point that I heard some other hunter shoot from about 75 yards away. I don't know what he was shooting at, but the two giants in front of me didn't care for it and hightailed it away before I ever got a chance. [:@]
Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I went hunting with my little brothers few years back and our youngest brother shot his first deer andwhen we heard that wonderful sound he turned and looked atus with a big ole TN smile!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 AM

I have heard it a few times............we often setup in areas where we can see each other. It's a fun change of pace and it has lead to some memorable moments that's for sure. I have heard guys whack 'em and I have watched guys miss 'em. It's really cool to "share" a hunt like that IMO. My brother had 5 or 6 does in front of him for about 45 minutes one day and he finally decided he was gonna shoot one and of course Murphy's law kicked in because just as I could see him getting ready to draw a buck walked out behind him and started cruising towards the does. I just sat there helpless and watched the impending three stooges skit unfold. The buck saw him and snorted which startled him and the does and everybody scattered like roaches........Seeing it first hand makes it even funnier.

My oldest brother went with me one day to a spot he had never been and I got to my tree and told him to head up about another 80-100 yards and sit in the next saddle...........it gets light out and I put my rangefinder on his chest and it reads 40 yards I always climb higher then he does so he never saw me the whole morning. At 10:30 a buck walks out and I shot him about 10 yards to my right (50 yards from my bro)..........the look on my brothers face was priceless as that was the first time he saw me all day, thinking he had walked much further then he really did. He actually thought I was someone else at first

Old 02-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Several times. My dad and I used to hunt close alot back in the day. I've watched him shoot deer as he watched me as well. When we were out of sight, he could usually hear me better than him. My bow was LOUD.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM

Yeah, my father and I often hunt close to each other to cover a specific area thoroughly. More than once I have not been able to see him due to trees, but instead of him calling me to tell me he hit one, I called him to tell him I knew he did! On a clear quiet evening that sound will travel a long ways.

I think the most interesting comment on this thread was Jeff's. That is strange you heard no sound for all of the deer you got this year. I rely on the "sound" of the shot to know whether or not I hit the deer almost as much as the behavior of the animal. There have been times when I have shot deer that did not act hit, but I looked and looked until I picked up that blood trail because I certain I had hit them just from the sound.

Jon
Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter
Really can't say that I have , seems to me if you can hear somebody else shoot their bow , your ethertoo close or they have a very loud bow.
I am more so talking about the sound of the arrow impacting the animal. I love the sound of a bullet hitting but that arrow sound just may be the most unique and best sound in the world. As for the closeness we have had great success just spreading out and working the elk back and forth between us, eventually someone gets a shot.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was almost shot 2 times buy the say guy witha shotgun. and me and my dad we on the main trail not far from the entrance with all our orange on
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, can't say I have. Would love to though! Someday maybe.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard the impact sound several times over the years. It brings a smile to my face every time knowing a friend just connected.

Quick Reply: Have U heard a shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.