Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters respect with the outfitter equation added in...

Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters respect with the outfitter equation added in...

To each his own--if it's legal what do i care?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

In hunting, there are so variables...people are not stupid, animals are not stupid, time, desire, etc....

I have been on plenty of hunts where the guide/outfitter was actually a hinderence-they got inmy way! And yet, I was forced to have them if I wanted to enjoy the challenge/experience(Canada, eh?)Ihave plenty ofstories where the guide was there to simply take people's money-hunters were driven around in a truck and never once shown an aminal. I guess you get what you pay for-Right? DO YOUR HOMEWORK! TALK TO REFERENCES!

I've been on hunts where both guide and hunter have worked their collective A$$ offjust to get a glimps of an animal-killing one would have been icing on the cake! The terrain was difficult. The weather condition were marginal and the altitude sucked the oxygen right out of you. Having an experienced individual/guide along meant life or death (no room for a DIY hunt). There was no guarantee whatsoever. I cannot see how hauling aP&Y sheep out of the hills, after such an adventure, can be diminished by the use of a guide. I'dasked the perpitrator of such mockery to put his money where his mouth is!

So, to answer your question, I think I would weigh the situation before I passed judgement. Things are not black and white to me. If respect is earned, I'll give it.

I hunted a friend'sfamily property in Ohio (I played soccer with this individual for many years). On this property (66 acres), there are over 30 different stands. I was shown an aerial photo of the property and was given a tour of the property. I was shown every stand available. Based on past experiences, I, subconsiousely, select one stand. I killed my first P&Y buck (167- 3/8) from that stand. I was wearing every ounce of clothing I could muster. That day was the coolest day I've ever experienced while hunting (the other hunters present were sitting in the cabin drinking coffee). I sat out there for hours-Freezing!I never moved the entire day. I did what no one else was willing to do...So, If you want to taint that accomplishment, Knock yourself out. It matters not to me! I know what I did and I have a very nice buck to show for it. By the way, this was the first and only P&Y buck to come off that property.

Folks, it's not about keeping up with the Jones'. It's about having fun!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not trying to pee on anyone's cornflakes..but you asked!

No I don't view an outfitters P&Y and a do it yourself P&Y the same way. A do it yourself hunt is much more of an accomplishment in my book. Like someone else has mentioned that doesn't mean I wouldn't go and yadda yadda yadda..But when someone comes on the board bragging of a Guided hunt where they got a big buck I say congrats. When they drone on about the kill and the video or the magazine articles I quit reading.

Now, if you kill a Monster on your own, scouted, placed stands, hunted certain conditions or winds and layed off when you had too..I'll read every tidbit, you post!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very interesting question that is very tough to answer. Some places, a guided hunt is tougher than someone who has thier property laid out and crawling with big bucks. Some guys would never ever have the chance of even hunting P&Y class deer if not for outfitters. Sometimes a guy could shoot a P&Y on open land and completely luck into it. GENERALLY I would give the respect nod to the non-outfitted P&Y, but without hearing each individual story, I'll just stick with being happy for the guy as long as he didn't shoot it behind a fence.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rick James

No, I do not feel as much respect for an animal taken by a fully outfitted/guided hunt as compared to a DIY. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go on an outfitted hunt, however I find it difficult to think that a guided hunt would be as memorable or rewarding for meas some of the dinks I have shot but worked very hard for.

I honestly think if I wanted to travel to hunt, I would do a lease on some property with other guys and a DIY. We have a lot of guys that come into the shop that have done this with some great success and I feel I would be able to take more pride in that than to have a guide tell me where to sit, drive me there, gut the deer, drag it out, etc..................

Once again, I see nothing wrong with a fully outfitted hunt and may do one someday but I don't think I would take as much away from it as I would a DIY.
This is almost exactly how I feel about it. I'd still go on an outfitted or guided hunt, but it will never measure up to the hunts where I guided and outfitted myself into killing a mature or P&Y buck. How could they compare? I guess that the reason I'd go on a guided hunt would be to get a chance at something that is not available in the areas that I normally hunt. Like a 300 lb dressed out canadian whitetail.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to give a blanket answer to that question. Like others have said, each outfitter is different. One may have derr coming to a bait pile or food plot and another might be watching a deer? trail. Generally speaking I do not give as much credit for a deer killed with an outfitter. They did your homework for you. But that is why your are paying for thrir services.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:39 PM

I'll answer simply by saying this, which I've said numerous times. If the "pro's" on TV had to find their own deer, they would be in big trouble.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

i'm with Rybo on this one. I know guys who have killed PY bucks with outfitters who couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag. On the other hand, I've guided guys on turkey hunts and dragged 'em through swamps up/down a million hills, crawled through fields and waded streams just to kill a stinking turkey. Those were tough hunts. It goes both ways.

Usually, you can tell just by hearing the story- there are the ones that start off with "Oh man, the guide put me in this elevated blind, and we saw a million deer... or there is the other extreme - "My guide sucked, and I had to hunt my butt off all week..."

So yeah, I'd say that deer killed while on a fully guided hunt do get the proverbial asterisk, but that is nothing absolute.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:31 PM

i dont know much about p&y but if it is based off of B&C then itsmaingoal is to honor the trophy, not the hunter.
I got a large deer this year (with a gun) but it was mostly luck. I talked with my dad about how tohunt our woods (all 2 acres) and went withhe suggested a spot that ialso thought about. I wenttoa tree that lookslike ait was lifted up and placed upside down. about Halftime of the OSU Michigan game,a deer came that we hadnt seen in a year. i am definately not the best hunter, and when my oppourtunity came, i took it.I'll admit my dadhelped me to get that deer but at the end of the day, it was me in that tree,not my dad, and i wouldwant nobody telling me that i dont deserve that deer or respect.
Everyone recieved help sometime in their hunting career. very few people went out in the woods with no knowledge about hunting. So by saying someone does not deserve respectbecause they had a guide helping them means that hardly anyone should get respect.
Overall, if you pulled the trigger, or released the arrow to get that deer, then good job and congrats.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to have somebody do all the work for me someday. I would be a nice change. If I bagged a brute in another mans setup it would be cool but the accomplishment would be cheepened. The DYI hunter is the man. Thats Gospel!

Quick Reply: Hunters respect with the outfitter equation added in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.