Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nasty weather and monster bucks

Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Nasty weather and monster bucks

Ok.... So hereare my questions.....

How many mature bucks have you taken during "nasty" weather..... Heavy rain and snow,strong winds or extreme cold?

Do you let the weather dictate when you will hunt? What inclement weather do you hunt in and what weather do you turn the alarm off and roll over?

This year was my first "nasty" weather buck as it was raining pretty good all day long. I have also saw quite a few "good" (P&Y class) bucks in heavy winds and rains over the years. This year was just the first time it all came together in those climates for me.

I'm curious to see others experiences.
[/align]
Old 02-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nasty weather and monster bucks

Anyone?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first big buck a 125 8pt came in a blizzard!! and he was the smaller of the two.. Walt
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

I have shot 0 mature bucksduring nasty weather. I haven't seen any either. If the wind starts to get up to 25+ mph, I may not hunt. If it is pouring rain, I usually don't hunt either. Now, a light rain or drizzle is another story. That type of rain seems to be the best conditions to see deer in.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting in light rain. It really lets me sneak into the woods and get in my stand quitely. Plus I have killed a few nice deer on those types of days. If it is pouring I don't go. I have enough other days I can hunt. I also like to hunt really cold temps., I see a lot of deer movement on real cold days. Haven't killed one on a real cold day yet, but cold weather doesn't bother me. Don't get many chanches to hunt in snow any more. It seems the deer don't really move during a heavy snow. But I love getting out right after the storm ends. They gotta fill their bellies after sitting out the storm.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM

i shot a doe in 40+ winds and - temps but no monster bucks
Old 02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with Greg .... I have never done good in heavy rain or wind ... I have , however had success BEFORE nasty weather comes ...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I will hunt in hard rain, cold and wind.

With a hard rain, I hope it will let up just a bitduring hunting. Most times I just get soaked but I managed to get a shot at this guy during a lull in the rain...

Old 02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I never do which I should try is still hunting the bedding areas ( cattails sloughs here for the most part ) on windy, cold, nasty days. I've walked up onquite a fewbucks and does doing this with rifle. I am talking getting within feet of bedded deer.

With bow it is always about not blowing an area by tromping through it. Rifle it doesn't bother me at all since I know the places will get hammered by other rifle hunters during the 2.5 week General Season. Someday I am going to throw caution in the wind andtry with bow.

Tim
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I killed my biggest buck in a soaking November rain. He was the only deer I saw all day, and you seriously could've wrung me out after I climbed out after the shot. I stuck it out until around 11:00 when this guy came through.

Quick Reply: Nasty weather and monster bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.