Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nasty weather and monster bucks

Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Nasty weather and monster bucks

Never killed any bucks in "nasty" weather but some of the biggest bucks I have seen while hunting were in nasty weather (mostly heavy rains). My buddy missed a big 140" class 10 point several years ago on a cold rainy day. We sat in our stands just getting soaked all afternoon, I never saw a deer but it was one of the most memorable days in stand that he has ever had. He was in a stand on the edge of a golden rod field. He had a large crab apple tree in front of him and a small pond about 15 yards behind him that sits right on the woodline. He said that he just got a feeling to turn around and as he slowly turned his head a big rack just appeared and it was looking right at him. He was picked off but he sat still and the buck calmed down a bit. As the buck walked parrallel to him he was able to draw back. When the buck got broadside he stopped it, settled the pin and let it go just to have the arrow hit a branch and sail over the bucks back.

I have seen more deer while hunting during breaks in heavy rains, as soon as the rain stops the deer get up and move.

High winds are probablly my least favorite condition to hunt in. I never see deer moving when the winds are 15mph or higher but I still sit in stand. Just this past season I sat in stand for about 3 hours when it was about 30 degrees out and we had a 30 mph wind with gusts in the upper 40 mph range. Just before legal shooting light ended the winds settled down and that evening I saw 3 shooter bucks, two were easy P&Y's and the other was very close to it.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: TJF

I will hunt in hard rain, cold and wind.

With a hard rain, I hope it will let up just a bitduring hunting. Most times I just get soaked but I managed to get a shot at this guy during a lull in the rain...

Yes.. it seems that the weatehr is just horrible there, and i usually wear a jacket if it is raining.. let me know of your secret to stay bone dry like in this pic
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Yes.. it seems that the weatehr is just horrible there, and i usually wear a jacket if it is raining.. let me know of your secret to stay bone dry like in this pic
Maybe the pic was taken the next day? Maybe he changed his clothes for the pic? Whats with people always questioning what somebody else posts?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: droptinez

Buck was shot in the evening and found the next morning. No secrettobeing dry in the picture that any wannabesherlock should have been able tofigured out.

Tim
Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Ummmmm..............well....................I uh.............[&:][&o][&o]
Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck Tim. I like the nasy cool rainy days. Not a hard rain but a steady drizzle seems to get the bucks up.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim,

You mean that flannel shirt isnt gortex?

Great buck, love that pic.

Nasty weather, ie drizzle, rain, snow storms..

For the most part the biggest/oldest bucks I have seen during mid-day hourshave been during the late rut in a steady drizzle, snow storms or steady rain. I've always felt the rain/drizzle dulls their sense of smell and gets them moving, couple that with the the late breeding phase whenold boys are searching for those last remaining does... even the most nocturnal bucks seem to show up in my parts at these times. I love the fact that most hunters pack it in on those nasty days, I make sure to be out there. Mostveteran bucks have the hunters patterned andsense the lack of pressure.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM

[quote][Nasty weather, ie drizzle, rain, snow storms..

For the most part the biggest/oldest bucks I have seen during mid-day hourshave been during the late rut in a steady drizzle, snow storms or steady rain. I've always felt the rain/drizzle dulls their sense of smell and gets them moving, couple that with the the late breeding phase whenold boys are searching for those last remaining does... even the most nocturnal bucks seem to show up in my parts at these times. I love the fact that most hunters pack it in on those nasty days, I make sure to be out there. Mostveteran bucks have the hunters patterned andsense the lack of pressure.

/quote]

Okay Scott, is Troys response enough to get you to shut up for a lil while
Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed deer in nasty weather. The day I arrowed my buck from this season, it wasn't nasty weather as the temperature wasn't bad (40's) but the wind was 30-40mph. Even at 15 yards, I grunted loud (2x)to stop him, but he didn't even hear it. But the deer are used to it, and as long as you don't mind swaying in the tree a little, the hunting is usually just as good.

But overall, even hunting in conditions of sleet, snow, and below digit temps, I've noticed the hunting to be as good. My game plan does change though, as the deer tend to stay in different areas depending on the weather.

Good Post.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

The biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting was durring a steadycold rainin the midmorning of late October. He seemed almost depressed and wanted nothing to do with the calls I threw at him.50yds was the closest he got. I believe hewasbed hopping for a hotties.

Quick Reply: Nasty weather and monster bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.