Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting and school

Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default bowhunting and school

i've been thinking sometime now i was wondering how i can get my school involved to have like an archery leage or somthing...i think that would be cool...anyone got any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Default RE: bowhunting and school

Talk to your phys ed teacher. Possibly you could set up an archery club as an extra curricular club like track, drama etc. Depends on what school and what school division you are is there may be alot of red tape to go through to get it going. Some school divisions list it as a high risk activity that should not be done while others go ahead with teaching archery. Safety is always number one concern but second on the list would be equipment. If your school deos not already have the equipment getting funding for the stuff would be like pulling teeth. Would be ok if everyone had their own gear but that really limits who is able to participate. Could possibly hold fundraisers etc if you get the go ahead but i would check into it with the physed teacher as well as the principal also members of the school board. I was thiking about the same type of thing when i get out teaching in a year but will have to see what school i am in. Good luck. I was thinking a few weeks of pracitce, form shooting etc then getting into competition between ourselves then going on a 3d shoot to end the season.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a archery club at my highschool. It was pretty cool we got together once every 2 weeks watched hunting video's and talked hunting. We went and shot techno hunt twice a year and went and did 2 3-d shoots also every fall. We did fundraises to raise all of our cash. You're best bet would be to talk to you're phys-ed teacher and see what he has to say. You may have to present something to the school board depends on how you're system works. We always had alot of fun, but sometimes it got super competitive. Goodluck.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM

I know my gym teacher had archery, just with crappy little recurves, but I'm sure if you went to ur teach with a well thought out plan and idea he would let you do it.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: MB.prostaff.bgcalls
I know my gym teacher had archery, just with crappy little recurves, but I'm sure if you went to ur teach with a well thought out plan and idea he would let you do it.
yes it is in the mantioba curriculum under target games as well as alternate pursuits. i was asked by my co-operating teacher to teach it during my next intership so i am pretty pumped. However i talk to some of the physed people back home in sask and it is not really used much due to the risk. All depends on the school and division policies. Just curious MB where did you go to highschool in manitoba?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

contact mathews, i believe they have an archery in schools sponsorship program...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 AM

I wish we could get a archery program started in our school. We have tossed the idea around and most of the guys were for it cause most all the school hunts and shoots. Our PE teacher said we could try it but the AD said that shooting would be a waste of money. I hate her anyway cause she gives the girls all the money for new uniforms and shoes every year.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into NASP, it provides equipment, certification(?) and hints on how to get this all past the school board.

stay target based and away from hunting at first to avoid that emotional mine-field
Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 AM

I agree with bob. the way you intially want to introduce this is as a target skills acquistion game almost like golf, curling, bowling, and other games that are target based. Your working on the skills of the students being able to identify targets, judge distance, performance, process etc. If you have a plie of hunters in the group then you can possibley go a different way with it however foundation has to be laid.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys...i haven't got a chance to talk to my phs ed teacher yet....what is NASP??

Quick Reply: bowhunting and school

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.