Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

darton bows

Old 02-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default darton bows

i went to a bow shop to check out the hoyt bows. While i was there i was talking to the guy that sets up and tunes all the bows and he was trying to talk me into buying a Darton bow instead . He says that that is what he shoots and he could shoot any of the bows. He told me that the hoyt is a good bow but thought the darton is a great bow . He claimed darton has a patend on there cam system and that other companies like Hoyt have to pay royalties for using there cam and 1/2 system . What do you guys think ? I don't hear much talk about the bows here.Is there any truth to this? or he just blowing smoke .Anybody have any experience with these bows ?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: darton bows

I used to be a Archery Shop/lane owner many years ago & been in this sport 50 years now. I have been shooting Darton since the early 70s & they are excellent bows. I have shot tons of various bows over the years & Darton has always been my favorite.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:51 AM

A very good choice.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 PM

They are very good shooting bows.I own a Magnum extreme and love it,but just remember buy what fits you best.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had several Dartons. They were all good shooters. Using a Bowtech now but I would buy another Darton without hesitation.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just got a Darton Marauder last Sept. and used in thoughtout the hunting season .
I'm very happy with the way it shoots , very quiet , very fast and it's the lightest bow I've ever had in my hand.
When shooting this bow I was surprised that there was novibration at all and it didn't have a stablelizer on it.
No matter what modle you get , Darton is a very good bow and they are priced fairly reasonable.
Heres a link to there web site ( www.dartonarchery.com ) check them out and see for yourself .
Old 02-18-2007, 05:19 PM

I belive Bowtech does pay royalties or has some sort of special arrangment with Darton. Now that's according only to posts I've read on other forums so I have no first hand knowledge.

From what I understand though, Dartons are fine bows. I don't think you'd go wrong with one. Check em out.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darton invented and developed the CPS (controlled power system). The CPS gives the bow straight and level nock travel at all draw lengths. Hoyt tried to use the CPS to design their Cam and a Half, but changed some of how it works, some might say to try to get around Darton's patents. The failed at that, and the CPS remains an easy system to tune and keep in tune. The Cam and a Half reportedly has minor nock travel issues near full draw, and tuning for that system can be more involved. Really though, either system will perform and tune pretty well, and remain in tune well with good quality string and cable systems. The newer Dartons are using their version of the Binary cam system. It is so new on Darton bows, there is really no telling what issues they may or may not have. I have had several Dartons, and CPS clone systems from Pearson and Champion. I think they give very easy broadhead tuning and excellent accuracy. I do think if you are looking at '07 bows, only the Marauder is still CPS, the others are Binary. Hoyt makes a great bow, and on average Hoyt bows have been somewhat quieter than similar Darton bows. That may be changing. Hoyt bows tend to retain more resale value, if that is a consideration.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks joe that was the info i was looking for . wasn't sure i was getting the right story from the shop

[/align]