Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Contest Stats

Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Contest Stats

Well done! - just 5 guys from '05 would have placed 8th competing against all the teams of 10 in 2006! Anyway, good luck to you next year.
- fsh
Old 02-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Contest Stats

Well, I got interested in how the 2006 contest compared overall to the previous contests. Here is a general summary: -fsh

Care to guess what % of hunters willenter bucks, or what the average buck will score in 2007?? - no brainer. It wouldbe more of a challenge to guesstimate the # of teams in 2007 - looks like it could bein the 50 to 55 range if the trend continues.

I was also curious if the additional data from prior years would show anything interesting. Here is the total inches of bucks entered for the same week each year.

Note that the October Lull soevident in the 2006 chart was somewhat less obvious when it included data from 2004 and 2005. I looked at the data and saw that the "lull" was shifted byone week in 2005 from the other two years - this helped mute the effect in the above summary plot. The following chart shows the raw numbers, with the "dips" highlighted in yellow for each year (ummm, interesting - (Note that my"dates of kill" are imprecise - I had to use "posting" dates for most deer!)):

This plot shows the average size of the buck entered over time on a weekly basis for the three contest years:

Again, the months of Sept and Dec/Jan do not have a lot of entries, so do not put a lot of weight in those averages...