Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Nothing really strange or extraordinary has happened to me in the woods, but I have had some interesting experiences. One day I was walking through an overgrown apple orchard and stumbled upon a black bear cub eating some blackberries. When I got within 15 feet or so it let out a grunt and dashed off into the woods. Needless to say I got the heck out of there.

On another occasion I was walking through the woods when I saw a young doe about 40 yards or so away. I wasn't wearing camo, but decided to wait and see what she did. I was out in the open but standing perfectly still. She didn't appear to notice me until she was about 10 yards away, then started approaching out of curiosity. It was quite comical. She came within about 2 or 3 yards, then I moved and she bolted with a loud snort.

One day I was sitting on a rock outside my summer cottage with a cup of trailmix. I was looking out on a lake not paying much attention to anything else. Suddenly I felt something hop up on my hand. I looked down to see a chipmunk with its head in my cup eating my trailmix. [&:]It acquired a taste for the stuff and I got it to come when I called.

Another time I was jogging some trails in the woods when I passed an area with lots of brush and thorn bushes. Out of the corner of my eye I caught something red-gray in the bushes to my left. I stopped and looked to see arather large coyote just staring at me. After staring at eachother fora fewseconds it just silently backed offinto the thicket. I didn't hear or see any more sign of it, and I began to doubt if I had actually seen it. Sly buggers they are...

Other than a marsh hawk flying right up over my duck blindabout 5feet from my face I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM

My cousin shot a deer and we were tracking it the next day when we saw two does that wouldn't spook. Then they came closer to us and we pet them and they followed us around like dogs all day. Apparently they had been re-released into the wild before becoming afraid of humans.

Tim Harden
Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Possibly a Sika deer. Theylook like that.
I thought that too but it didnt look like a sika deer. I still havent seen anything like it in all my searches.