Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

A spike on top of a doe not weird but nature. I kind of ruined his day because while in action I shot him.It was crazy because I thought they were all does until he got on top of her. Then I knew it was a buck.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:51 PM

Okay PreacherTony, I'll tell ya!

I'm not Catholic, but is this gonna be like confession? You're not gonna tell anybody are you?

Here goes....

My wife and I were in my truck driving through my lease and just about to pull into the campsite when this critter ran across the road about 75 yards in front of us. I STOPPED THE TRUCK AND WATCHED! Then it ran back across to the area it came from originally. THEN, it ran back across again and disappeared. It was dark colored, brown or black. It was small, about the size of a house cat, but it was not a house cat. It walked with its head lower to the ground than its rear-end. Its tail was long and slender and also longer than it's body.The tail also went up, off its rear and then pointed back towards the ground, kinda like a U shape but upside down. Before I could say anything, my wife asked, "What was that?" I said" I don't know but it looked like a ..............

MONKEY!!!!"

Seriously! To this day, I still don't know what it was.

Since then, the guys on the lease have had a great time razzing me about it and the lil critter has grown into a full sized gorilla.[&:]
Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One moring I was sitting in my treestand and right before daybreak I felt something hit me in the head and continue by on to the tree, then another, and another. Evidently, I had set-up shop right in front of a flying squirrel nest.

Funniest was a little squirrel that made me when it tried to go up the tree I was in. Ran back down the tree and up another with an apple in it's mouth. Then ran down the tree, set down the apple and started chirping, picked the apple back up, ran back up the tree, staired at me then back down the tree and repeated the chirping.Must have done this about 10 times and I almost fell out of the tree laughing. Sure I wasn't going to see a deer for a while. However, things like that are why I enjoy archery in the first place. You aren't going to have an experience like that sitting on the couch.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Couple weird things in recent years.......I had an owl buzz me like some other guys already said, he either didn't see me or was coming after me but I dodged him.

Last year I had a hawk land about 10 feet in front of me and groom itself for a few minutes.........maybe one of the cooler things I have seen on stand.

2 years ago I saw a full sized pine crack in half and fall to the ground. It was amazing and pretty scarey too since all I could picture was the tree I was strapped to doing the same []
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine was calling coyotes with his mouth. Squeeking like a mouse and other stuff when an owl came down and nicked the top of his head. I guess you have to be pretty dang good to get an owl to dive for you. Kinda cool though.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Weirdest thing I have ever seen in the woods was about 7 years ago. My son and I were squirrel hunting in NW Pa and we see this "deer" coming towards us. Well the closer it got, we really couldnt figure out what it was. It was a black deer, with antlers going towards the back like an elk and its "penis" was in the middle of its belly kinda like a cow. It wasnt very big almost a little smaller than a whitetail. I saw a friend who was hunting in the same area and he also saw it. We have no idea what it was. There is a a guy up here in this area who has some exotic animals on his farm. I called him and described it to him and he said he had no idea what it was. I looked it up online and couldnt find it anywhere. Never saw it again after that day and never heard of anybod else seeing it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Saw a falcon standing on the ground bya bush looking into the bush. It all of a sudden jumped/tookoff into the bush and then came out of it with a sparrow in its tallons and then started to eat it. It was cool I didnt think they hunted from the ground like that ever.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aldo88

Weirdest thing I have ever seen in the woods was about 7 years ago. My son and I were squirrel hunting in NW Pa and we see this "deer" coming towards us. Well the closer it got, we really couldnt figure out what it was. It was a black deer, with antlers going towards the back like an elk and its "penis" was in the middle of its belly kinda like a cow. It wasnt very big almost a little smaller than a whitetail. I saw a friend who was hunting in the same area and he also saw it. We have no idea what it was. There is a a guy up here in this area who has some exotic animals on his farm. I called him and described it to him and he said he had no idea what it was. I looked it up online and couldnt find it anywhere. Never saw it again after that day and never heard of anybod else seeing it.

Possibly a Sika deer. Theylook like that.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The weirdest thing I can remember came about 4 years ago. I had a doe tag in my pocket, and I was bowhunting in one of my favorite stands. I got there before sunrise, and once the sun arose, I realize a flock of turkeys were roosted in the same tree as my treestand.

It was about the same time as the turkeys are about to fly down, and here comes a nice big doe down the trail. She was only 25 yards quartering to me, when a hen turkey flew down right in front of the doe, and the same trail. It was obvious the doe wanted to walk down the trail towards me but the turkey was in the way, not 7-8 feet from the deer.

They had a staredown for 10-15 seconds and then the doe lowered her head and basically pushed the turkey away. The turkey held it's ground until the deer was only 1-2 feet away, and then jumped out of the trail.

Once the doe was past the turkey, she took a few more steps, and I made a perfect 10yard broadside shot.

It was an interesting morning. A duel of the Turkey vs. Deer... and I won! haha
Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I was hunting on the eastern shore of maryland two years ago. I was sitting in my stand I had set up in a funnel , had a pond to my left and a field to my right. I Had some deer coming down the funnel at prime time when thease ducks came in for a landing in the pond. Well,one of the ducks had miss judged his altitude on the approatch, hit the tree tops,and tumbled to the ground. Guess what happened to the deer!!! Then this dam duck whent quackin' in a huge circle out into the field then back to the pond passing right under my stand!!!! I hate ducks.............................

Quick Reply: Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.