Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

I have two things... 1st when I was younger scouting a small woods with a friend.... we were standing in the woods just looking around... and we saw 3 deer in the distance a mom and two young deer (we had no camo on) and they kept coming our way and we werent behind any tree's or anything we just stood still... here the two young ones were button bucks and they kept walking our way and walked within 2 yards of us and were stairing us down... it was unbelievable and we kinda started to laugh, because we could have easily touched them... the mom stood farther away adventally they spoked, that shows how dumb young deer are..

2nd.. this past season I saw a bald eagle fly by me 3 different times and the last time it did it had a squirrel of something in its claws and then it dropped it and flew down and picked it up again. pretty amazing. this was in maryland.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM

i saw something really weird... Nefarious hunting - -- that was the ugliest thing i have ever seen too
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM

I can't tell ya.....

Y'all might think I'm crazy or drunk, which at the time, I was neither. However, my wife saw it too!

It was a ........
>
>
>
>
>
>
Sorry, I just can't take anymore jokes about it. My buddies have scarred me pretty badly.[]

Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM

the wierdest thing i saw was i was hunting the 2nd week of archery and this hawk came down and perched on a branch about 30 yds from me and i was like wats this thing doing and no sooner it swooped down and picked a squirrel up right up from the ground and brought it back up in the tree
Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Spike

Location: NY county that holds both typical and notypical state fiream records

Opening day of archery season I had a woodchuck climb up a slightly tilted tree about 10 feet away. He got up as high as I was and sat in a croch the tree had and watched me for a good 30 minutes. I also had a redtail hawk come down and pearch on a large dead branch about 6ft from me.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

I can't tell ya.....

Y'all might think I'm crazy or drunk, which at the time, I was neither. However, my wife saw it too!

It was a ........
>
>
>
>
>
>
Sorry, I just can't take anymore jokes about it. My buddies have scarred me pretty badly.[]

c'mon man .... tell us
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know if you guys have weasels but where I hunt they always come in the stand. They are some ferocious little buggers. Probably the meanest animal around for their size. They'll try to bite you and everything. Chickadees fly right through my stand every once in a while. I saw about 30 bald eagles one winter when we were putting the beaver carcusses out on the ice.

I was fishing one day and catching perch and I was throwing them out for the gulls. Had one of those fish catching birds (I forgot the name right now but I know it wasn't a fish eagle) anyways he grabbed it and the bald eagle saw that and took off from the nest and chased after him. They got ina little mid air fight but the bald eagle just eventually let it go.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Id have to say the weirdest animal I ever saw was a jet black fox. Another time in the woods a fawn was following me and my dad around while we were scouting a state lands.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how weird this is..but it was arare sight. I watched a wolf run down the road in front of me for about 30 seconds one time with a front quarter off of a whitetail in his mouth..
Old 02-23-2007, 11:30 AM

I have had some pretty odd experiences and some close encounters. Pepper sprayed a sow bear climbing my stand, had a cub sniffing my leg through my blind, had a bull moose walk within petting distance right past me staring me in the eye and grunting every step ( i actually dialed my cell phone home and held the phone out, the moose grunting was saved on my message manager) witnessed a cow elk fight off 2 yotes as they were trying to seperate her from her calf. My favorite thing in the word is to watch squirrels actually. I dam near fall out of my tree laughing when they are fighting with one another and also like when they come up into the stand and suddenly realize what you are.

Quick Reply: Weirdest thing that you saw in the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.